lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Dannzig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 E-Z Go Only Starts with Air filter removed

I just picked up a 2002 E-Z GO TXT. Changed plugs and check valve adjustment. I can get it to start if I take the air filter out. If I keep it running, I can put the air filter back on and drive it around, but if it stalls, I have to remove the air filter to re start it. Any Ideas?
Dannzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Dannzig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 E-Z Go Only Starts with Air filter removed

No Suggestions?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
zombiehunter
Not Yet Wild

1. Assuming you've already done it but if not, new air filter
2. Valve adjustment?
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
Dannzig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep, first things I did. Changed Plugs, Air and Fuel Filter, and valve adjustment. Cleaned Carb.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
himmelaufer
Not Yet Wild

I wish I had an answer but I don't just a similar experience. My robbins 295 has an after market air cleaner. It will run for a short time and then seems to flood and doesn't want to start again. With the air filter off it runs good but still has gas where the air filter connects to the carb. Maybe the carb needs adjustment (needs to be leaned out). I'm not sure how to adjust the carb, hopefully someone else will
himmelaufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:35 PM   #6
rdkeller
Not Yet Wild

I have a similar problem. Changed muffler and plugs. Runs great without air filter. Won’t start with it in. I hope someone has an answer. Guessing it’s something fairly simple but it sure is aggravating
rdkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:00 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like carb cable may not be adjusted correctly
Also maybe has a cheap aftermarket carb on it that’s running way rich. They tend to do that
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:26 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If they are running without the air filters, it obviously suggests the fuel air mix is rich and the engines need more air. These carbs don't have fuel adjustment needles to change the mixtures...just jet size. I agree with CP, likely aftermarket carbs on both and jets are too big or been drilled out. The fix is to re-jet the carbs if this is the case. If both carts ran well with the same carb and jets, and have since started running poorly, jets wouldn't be the case, time to look elsewhere.
The other possibility is that the fuel is correct, but air isn't moving through the system properly. Are the vent tubes on the side of the carb clear? if the air filter has been changed, and the intake box, or hoses are clear (ie: no mouse nests, etc), then it is either the cylinder isn't pulling enough air in on the intake stroke (Maybe rings are bad...check compression), or possibly the exhaust charge can't move out adequately, look at the exhaust. Any blockages at the muffler or exhaust pipe? Has the muffler come apart inside? Take it off and shake it. Or, maybe the adjusted valves weren't adjusted correctly. They control the air flow in and out of the cylinder. If it isn't aftermarket carbs, valve adjustment is my bet.
That being said, another possibility is the fuel air mix is correct, but the spark isn't adequate to burn the mix. Are the new plugs gapped properly? Are they good plugs, or junk torch units? Put a Ohm meter on the coil and make sure it is good. What about voltage from the battery? Are both plugs firing? Just some thoughts.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO