lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G21 Utility

I purchased a 2001 Yamaha G21AW Utility with about a 4 foot bed on it. Now my problem is when it first starts out to take off down the road it throws some serious smoke that then creates a white out for the neighborhood for about 5 mins. Once it gets warmed up and going after about 5 mins the smoke stops/clears and it will run great until you leave it set for another 10 20 min or so and start up again and have the same problem until it gets warmed up again it seems.

I'm thinking it needs new rings in it but looking for other ideas before I open that can of worms

Also does anyone know were I can find a suspension kit for it I'd like to drop in some new bushings and kingpins in the front end for a decent price instead of buying individual parts and pieces from the part numbers in the manuals
giftedonesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G21 Utility

Nobody has front suspension kits for the G21AW?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Jakes makes an a-arm lift for the G21.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedonesm View Post
I purchased a 2001 Yamaha G21AW Utility with about a 4 foot bed on it. Now my problem is when it first starts out to take off down the road it throws some serious smoke that then creates a white out for the neighborhood for about 5 mins. Once it gets warmed up and going after about 5 mins the smoke stops/clears and it will run great until you leave it set for another 10 20 min or so and start up again and have the same problem until it gets warmed up again it seems.

I'm thinking it needs new rings in it but looking for other ideas before I open that can of worms

Also does anyone know were I can find a suspension kit for it I'd like to drop in some new bushings and kingpins in the front end for a decent price instead of buying individual parts and pieces from the part numbers in the manuals
Running a compression test would be one thought.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The utility vehicles like your G21 used a "king pin bolt" that would "seat into" the lower control arm hole and the upper hole. There are bushings in the spindle, but I don't think there available. If the king pin is worn on the area were it contacts the lower control arm holes, just replace the king pin. If the lower control arm holes are damaged, new lower control arms As for the smoking, very likely the oil rings are worn and the intake valve stem seal needs replacing. You do need a special puller to get the clutch assembly off the crank shaft though. Like Raydhd said, take a compression test at wide open throttle, should be 155 to 175 lbs comp. Lets see some pictures of your new toy!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Tested compression and it was at 160

Replaced the intake valve stem seal and found out that the values needed adjusted ....adjusted back into spec and put everything back together

Ran compression test 2nd time it went to 120 after all the adjustments still smokes like a chimney til it warms up looking into buying new set of rings for the ole girl and making more adjustments as it tends to backfire when coming to a stop.

As for the front end suspension I'm going to get it put up on my car lift in next couple weeks and tear the wheels off to see if it just needs bushings replaced or what the problem is.

Try to send pics shortly
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

Quick picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161002_174735761_HDR.jpg (373.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha