lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
King Matt
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default FE290 cold start issue

Hello all, i am having a cold starting issue with a 93 carryall. when the engine is cold it will sputter and pop out of the intake but will eventually start after about 2 minutes of cranking and carrying on. I just rebuilt the engine (first FE series i did) because of low compression when hot. I already replaced the filters, lines, carb and spark plug. It has 145 psi compression, its getting spark and both fuel filters are full. Once it's warm it still takes a few extra revolutions to start but it runs fine and has plenty of power.

Thanks
King Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 cold start issue

Sounds like carb issues to me. Try this: take the intake hose off the carb and spray a quick shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb. If it fires right up (then probably dies right away)that would confirm it's a fuel delivery issue
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
King Matt
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Still nothing, starting to think it is a timing issue. My boss didn't want to buy me a service manual so i pretty much did the rebuild blind. It also sat apart for about 2 months before we got the parts and conformation to do the work.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cam timing is fairly straight forward, line up the marks on the cam & crank gears: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...imingmarks.jpg
Ignition timing is a given since the coil triggers directly from the flywheel. Might double check your valve clearance.
Also might try with the original carb back on. A cleaned up original carb is almost always a safer bet than an aftermarket replacement.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
King Matt
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

That's what i figured, and i cleaned and installed the old carb and same thing. I currently have the valve lash adjusted to 0.006in
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
King Matt
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Well finally got a little bit of good news, took the motor back apart after i talked to a friend. He informed me that these engines have a problem with oil build up in the intake valve guide. Sure enough i took everything apart and the intake valve was sticking slightly when it was cold. Got that fixed and it starts a little better, but now i have an issue with intermittent loss of spark. Anyone got a spec for ignition coil gap?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

.012" is the gap http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-failures.html
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car