lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Drive Clutch Removal 2004 DS

Yes, the way the clutch it sitting on the ground in your photo is how it should be when you attach the puller. You split the clutch from the bolt side, not from the pulley side. You'll use those three holes that have the red plastic inserts in them to mount the puller (you'll take those inserts out).
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
TheCricketer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Yes, the way the clutch it sitting on the ground in your photo is how it should be when you attach the puller. You split the clutch from the bolt side, not from the pulley side. You'll use those three holes that have the red plastic inserts in them to mount the puller (you'll take those inserts out).
Worked like a charm! Who would have thunk that the incredibly long bolts were the ones I needed! All done!!! Except...

1) How do I get the cover secured again? tap it down with a hammer or rubber mallet?
2) When I got it apart, I removed the spring which had the washer attached to the bottom (pulley side) and there was a plastic washer as well. I attached the washer to the new spring but am confused about the plastic washer. Does that just slide down the middle post and essentially sit on the washer that is attached to the spring or does it go somewhere else? Schematic isn't exactly clear.
3) I was reading somewhere else and it mentioned that don't put any lubricant or carbon dust or anything inside the clutch. It's REALLY dirty in there. Is it appropriate to clean (i.e., wipe off, etc) the inside and all moving parts? There is a thick layer of crud in there. Or can you apply spray white lithium grease to the bearings, etc.? It hasn't been opened in 13 years and it was used on the beach with salt water, etc. so I feel like it is probably dirtier than it should be.
4) The clutch cover plugs (the red ones you remove to attach the puller) were destroyed in the process. A function of rot. Can you pick those up at a parts house or is there a different way to seal those holes?

I really appreciate all the help!
TheCricketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #33
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm not sure about the washer but yes clean out the inside break clean works the best I like to lube my clutches but it's important you use a dry lithium lube if you use anything that doesn't dry it will collect dust and debris and get sticky
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

1) Yes, it shouldn't take much to put the cover back on. Light to moderate hammer hits should get it back together.

2) I'm not sure, It's been awhile since I did mine. I'll have to look at the schematic.

3) You can clean the inside out as much as you want as I understand it, just don't oil or lube it. Clutch is designed to be run dry. So just make sure it's dry when you put it back together. When I did mine I just blew it out with...compressed air...sorry...you should get an air compressor!

4) You don't really need those red inserts. They only started putting them in the clutches from 1997-onwards. From 1987-1996 they weren't included. I wouldn't worry about them. If you're in a salty climate where you're worried about the threads I imagine you could get some short bolts at the hardware store, put a small dab of low-to-medium strength Loctite on them, and screw them in each hole to seal out the elements.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car