lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
trentmharris
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive vs Drive2. Worth the extra $?

Hello,
I should be in the market in the next 30 days or so for a golf cart of residential use and I've decided I want gas and Yamaha. I've read-up on the new Drive2 model and understand it is very quiet and has IRS. The dealer I have spoke with has the Drive2's in stock but also has some real nice 2016 Drive's for sale that would cost me $2K less than the Drive2. I would get 4 years warranty vs 2 years, IRS vs solid real axle, and a quieter machine with Drive2. I'm really wondering though if those differences are really worth the $2K delta? This will only be used to drive around my neighborhood and not very likely to be used on a course, lifted, or many other mods. Your two cents are appreciated.
trentmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive vs Drive2. Worth the extra $?

Go over there and drive them both. I'm quite sure your decision will be made by the driving experience. Take a passenger, and talk while riding around.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
trentmharris
Not Yet Wild

I just returned from driving a 2014 Drive and a 2018 Drive2. While the Drive2 was indeed quieter than the 14 model, and had a slightly smoother ride, I did not feel there was a ton of differences between the two. Well, not $2K worth of difference at least. I'm still torn though as I would have some peace of mind knowing a 2018 model would not have been used/abused by a golf course somewhere.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wouldn't be afraid of golf course carts simply because usually body takes the brunt of damage on the golf course you know they aren't cranking up the governor and turning high rpms on the course so as long as motor runs strong and isn't smoking and clutches aren't dished I don't see where you could go wrong with a 2014
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
trentmharris
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all. The used cart I'm looking at is actually a 2016 model but the dealer said it wasn't different than 14 model.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
tysontdw
Not Yet Wild

I just got a D2. My HOA rules are electric only but 1/2 the carts are gas. I wanted something quiet (but gas) to not shake the neighborhood boat. Once it's moving it is super quiet. Still putters from a start and going up hills. I also figured I should should get a fair amount back with the new motor and independent suspensions in re-sale.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
tysontdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
abgiles
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The biggest difference besides the noise level between the two would be to see if it's fuel injected. We have ton of people in our neighborhood with Yamaha Drives, and now a number of us with Drive 2's. The difference between the EFI and Carb is huge.

They did make the Drive with both EFI and Carb, so depending on which one you get, it is amazing. EFI seems to have a faster throttle response, and no carb to mess with. However, it would be more costly to fix if issues arise.
abgiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, drive2, ptv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha