lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Brake Cable Recall-Yamaha Recalls Golf Cars and PTVs Due To Crash Hazard Alert

Has anybody had this taken care of? Got a letter from Yamaha about it.

Yamaha Recalls Golf Cars and Personal Transportation Vehicles Due to Crash Hazard (Recall Alert)

Recall involves 2015 through 2018 Golf Cars and Personal Transportation Vehicles

CPSC Recall Number: 18-725
https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls/2018/ya...d-recall-alert

Name of product:
Yamaha Golf Cars and Personal Transportation Vehicles (PTVs)
Hazard:
The brake cables on the golf cars and PTVs can fail, posing a crash hazard.
Remedy:
Repair
Recall date:
February 22, 2018
Units:
About 161,000
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Brake Cable Recall-Yamaha Recalls Golf Cars and PTVs Due To Crash Hazard Alert

Nope, have not fixed a single one. Repair kits and parts are on back-order till mid May (and it keeps getting bumped back). Best part is, service writers are telling em "yep, we'll take care of it", what is customer gonna think when we call it back in to actually take care of it when we get parts? I have been inspecting all carts I get my hands on. Have not seen one yet with anything more then a slight bend in the cable, no freying, no other signs of damage as reported in the recall. I don't think this is something to get all stirred up about, and if one cable breaks, the other one will provide limited braking power on one wheel. And take it easy on your local dealer, they didn't cause this, and likely don't yet have the parts to perform the recall.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Brake Cable Recall-Yamaha Recalls Golf Cars and PTVs Due To Crash Hazard Alert

Yes I have! CGtech, get ahold of your regional service manager and demand the kit and some clips. I've done about 275 so far and one course that has a 125 car fleet had 3 driver side cables and one passanger side cables fraid, put out of commission till new brake cables could be ordered and replaced. Installed the support clips on all the other cables. As new cars are sold, they must be done before delivery. I have over 700 in our territory to do. I have yet have a private customer call me. There going to be the tough because there spread out over god's green earth! I'm very disappointed that Yamaha does not have "Team's" out on the road taking care of this!!!!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Can someone please tell me what to look for so I can see if I have the problem. I received the Yamaha recall notice yesterday in the mail. I live in the North Georgia mountains and don't have a hitch on my vehicle, nor a trailer so I'm really concerned. The nearest Yamaha dealer to me is 30 miles (one-way) and they charge a lot to come get the vehicle and then to bring it back.

I would greatly appreciate someone letting me know WHERE to look and how to look to see if my cables are frayed. I live in a community with very steep hills so I use my brakes a lot (and for up to 2 minutes at a time during long steep hills). I have already had to adjust my brakes (brake pedal free play adjustment) because the pedal was almost maxed out and didn't even engage the brakes until it was pushed more than 2 inches. My guess is that I'll probably wear out the brakes in less than 18 months because of the hills. If I don't ride the brakes, the cart free-wheels at 35MPH.

I would really like to know where to look to see if my cables are frayed. If they aren't perhaps I won't need to spend $200 to have the dealer come to my house to pick it up.
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
AFBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBob View Post
Can someone please tell me what to look for so I can see if I have the problem. I received the Yamaha recall notice yesterday in the mail. I live in the North Georgia mountains and don't have a hitch on my vehicle, nor a trailer so I'm really concerned. The nearest Yamaha dealer to me is 30 miles (one-way) and they charge a lot to come get the vehicle and then to bring it back.

I would greatly appreciate someone letting me know WHERE to look and how to look to see if my cables are frayed. I live in a community with very steep hills so I use my brakes a lot (and for up to 2 minutes at a time during long steep hills). I have already had to adjust my brakes (brake pedal free play adjustment) because the pedal was almost maxed out and didn't even engage the brakes until it was pushed more than 2 inches. My guess is that I'll probably wear out the brakes in less than 18 months because of the hills. If I don't ride the brakes, the cart free-wheels at 35MPH.

I would really like to know where to look to see if my cables are frayed. If they aren't perhaps I won't need to spend $200 to have the dealer come to my house to pick it up.
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
Take the floor mat rivets on the driver side out, fold the mat over to the passenger side, take out the service panel. lock the brake. Pull the rubber boots back exposing the cables. If damaged, you will see "fraying" at the point the cable is swedged to the eye end that connects to the eaqualizer. As soon as you bull back the rubber boots, you'll see if there damaged. Good luck
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Take the floor mat rivets on the driver side out, fold the mat over to the passenger side, take out the service panel. lock the brake. Pull the rubber boots back exposing the cables. If damaged, you will see "fraying" at the point the cable is swedged to the eye end that connects to the eaqualizer. As soon as you bull back the rubber boots, you'll see if there damaged. Good luck
Smallblock45sl: Thank you so much! I will do this today. I need to adjust my free brake pedal adjustment again anyway since my brake pedal can be pushed more than 1" before feeling any tension. While I'm adjusting that screw, I'll pull back the rubber boots and take a look.

If you were me and there was no cables frayed, should I still worry about trying to get the cart to the dealer later on? I'm assuming that if the cables aren't frayed, the dealer would do nothing...but perhaps I'm wrong. First, I'll check to see how the cables look. Thanks so much again for your help.

Last edited by AFBob; 04-08-2018 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I tried to edit my post to add a picture in case it helps anyone else, but I didn't see the picture so I'm adding it here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129096...posted-public/

Last edited by AFBob; 04-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Picture didn't show up
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If the cables are not frayed, dealers are required to install "support clips" at that location. The clips are an aluminum "C" about 1/2" long and we use a special swedging tool to attatch the clip at the front and back of the clip. If frayed, new cable or cables need to be changed out.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
If the cables are not frayed, dealers are required to install "support clips" at that location. The clips are an aluminum "C" about 1/2" long and we use a special swedging tool to attatch the clip at the front and back of the clip. If frayed, new cable or cables need to be changed out.
Thank you. If my cables are not frayed, I guess I'll plan on getting the cart to the dealer in the near future to get the support clips installed. If I notice any frayed wires, I'll stop driving the cart immediately. Thank you very much for all the help.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry Yamaha owners from 2014 (2015 model) and up have to go through this, but as CGtech said....Please don't shoot the dealer's....we did not cause this. It is a SAFETY issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha