lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Can I Tap Into the Power Wire at the Shifter Cable

Can I tap into the power wire behind the shifter cable to power something up when entering Reverse?

Just like and ignition wire Tap In?
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Can I Tap Into the Power Wire at the Shifter Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
Can I tap into the power wire behind the shifter cable to power something up when entering Reverse?

Just like and ignition wire Tap In?
You can always use a relay and power what you want...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Keep the load to a minimum if you want the switch to last. Remember, that circuit is for a reverse buzzer that uses very little power. That being said, I unhooked my reverse buzzer, and connected instead to a bright LED plate light to use as a little reverse lamp.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 AM   #4
frankthetank
Gone Wild

It’s for a reverse camera and lcd screen.

How much is too much load for it would you think?

I probably could just put a stick toggle switch so the shifter bar just hits the switch and run straight to battery but tie-in sounds so much easier haha
Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
It’s for a reverse camera and lcd screen
Just a signal, almost negligible, you can connect it right away!

Quote:
I probably could just put a stick toggle switch so the shifter bar just hits the switch and run straight to battery but tie-in sounds so much easier haha
Not sure such adding mechanical system is easier... A relay serving your buzzer (or whatever you have) and adding anything else would be BY FAR surer and easier! No idea there but here a real bosch is less than a buck!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
frankthetank
Gone Wild

So would I just need a 4 Pin Relay?

How would I wire it properly....theres only the Pos/Neg wires at the Shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
Just a signal, almost negligible, you can connect it right away!

Not sure such adding mechanical system is easier... A relay serving your buzzer (or whatever you have) and adding anything else would be BY FAR surer and easier! No idea there but here a real bosch is less than a buck!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

To make it simple, a relay is an electrically operated switch. In automotive, a starter relay allows the high current of high beam lights, for instance, to be controlled with small wiring and switch.

There are consequently 2 parts in the relay, one controlling its state (on/off), connected to the switch) and the other connected to the piece of equipment it controls.

In your case, the back level would control the relay (very low consumption) and the other part to the equipment to power.

Of course the first thing is to determine if your back level is sending a +12V or a -12V (always good to verify with a multimeter). It should then be connected to pin 85 (or 86) and the other (85 or 86) to its opposite (a -12V if the level is + or opposite). When the level is moved, it switch on or off the relay.

Now, as you can see on the first diagram, a set of contacts will happen depending of the state of the relay:
  • Relay off: contact between pin 30 and pin 87a
  • Relay on: contact between pin 30 and pin 87 (but not anymore on 87a)
Often you will find a lightly different kind of relays for automobile where the 87a does not exist but you have 2 x 87 (second diagram)…

This being said, you need to take care where to take the ground (battery) and power (fuses) as there are several particularities depending of the original wiring of your Yamaha.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (11.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Untitled.png (14.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Thanks.
I suppose I need to start testing with the multimeter:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
To make it simple, a relay is an electrically operated switch. In automotive, a starter relay allows the high current of high beam lights, for instance, to be controlled with small wiring and switch.

There are consequently 2 parts in the relay, one controlling its state (on/off), connected to the switch) and the other connected to the piece of equipment it controls.

In your case, the back level would control the relay (very low consumption) and the other part to the equipment to power.

Of course the first thing is to determine if your back level is sending a +12V or a -12V (always good to verify with a multimeter). It should then be connected to pin 85 (or 86) and the other (85 or 86) to its opposite (a -12V if the level is + or opposite). When the level is moved, it switch on or off the relay.

Now, as you can see on the first diagram, a set of contacts will happen depending of the state of the relay:
  • Relay off: contact between pin 30 and pin 87a
  • Relay on: contact between pin 30 and pin 87 (but not anymore on 87a)
Often you will find a lightly different kind of relays for automobile where the 87a does not exist but you have 2 x 87 (second diagram)…

This being said, you need to take care where to take the ground (battery) and power (fuses) as there are several particularities depending of the original wiring of your Yamaha.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I kinda have another question that your response brings to mind about the Load.

So my G29's Tail/Brake Lights each have 3 Pins and Wires going in. Ground, Tail, and Brake. I believe I traced down the pigtail harness to add brake light harness/kit.

I am doing something different with brake lights and blinkers. So I wont use factory lights for that.

When I turn the factory lights on it turns the Tail Lights on but not the Brake Light Function. Obviously because there's no kit attached.

I put Tint on my factory Tail Lights and I tested the lights running from the Tail Light Pin (Dimmer) and tested it from the Brake Light Pin (Brighter).

I actually like it with Brake Light Pin. Just looks better with the tint being on it.

My question because you mentioned Load:

Think it is safe to just swap the Tail and Brake Light Pins and just run them straight on Brake Light Pin Setting?

I imagine yes because it is made for the add-on of brake light kits.

That all make sense?
thanks!

Anybody feel free to chime in too:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Keep the load to a minimum if you want the switch to last. Remember, that circuit is for a reverse buzzer that uses very little power. That being said, I unhooked my reverse buzzer, and connected instead to a bright LED plate light to use as a little reverse lamp.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On my golf cart (G15-A), I had to create all the electricity myself. At the time, I preferred to equip almost all "lines" with relays, the thing being I wanted to make a panel I shall never touch again. It was not a too bad idea as I had to replace several leds by bulbs... Being in Philippines, it is not always easy to find what I want near (not easy to order by eBay or Amazon) and shipping is costly on small items even local...

This being said, about using your stop lights as tail lights is, again a question of load of course if there is no relay on this "line". What is the power of your stop lights? If they are bulbs, they are often 18W each, which makes 36W or 3A at 12V. If you have on the same "line" front and/or side lights then it must be added... Then, check the power of your switch but I prefer to have a marge, meaning I prefer to have a switch supporting 5A if I need 3A...

BUT... IMHO, having brake lights is not a luxe... especially after installing a high speed gear. Perhaps it can be ridiculous on an original top speed around 12 MPH, but quite mandatory when you can go 30+... Again... I also use a relay on them, as on horn, etc...

Anyway, in your case, I would use the back lever signal to power the relay, and connect on the other relay "side" the buzzer, camera power...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha