lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
How Nice
Not Yet Wild

Default How do I get this carb apart?

I have a 2000.5 DS FE290 with one of the carburetors with the fuel mix screws that have the tabs that allow only about a third turn adjustment. My question is how the heck do I get the screw out to clean it?

The exploded view of the carb I found looks like the knob is attached by press fit, so is this designed to be non-removable? I don't want to try to pop it off and find out I busted it if so. Thanks!
How Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
unknwn
Getting Wild

Default Re: How do I get this carb apart?

The aluminum cap with the restrictor tab gets the tab cut/broken off with a stout set of side cut/dyke type of plier. If you are worried about the mixing screw failing you can drill some tiny holes at the base of the restrictor flag to weaken it so that when you pinch it very close to the round portion that it fractures and separates where you want it to.
You might have to finish up with a small file to smooth up any burrs once the majority of the flag breaks away though.
A dremel with a metal cutting abrasive disc can get it done too, but has the potential of getting away from you due to bounce/skate and damaging the carb otherwise.
Really, the side cut/dyke plier works well, I've done many dozens of this on multi-cylinder motorcycle carb. sets.
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
How Nice
Not Yet Wild

Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
unknwn
Getting Wild

Several tips.
Brace the carb. body (padded,gently)to a bench or otherwise, so that the forces are transfered to the work area than moving the assembly around. Then you block up the plier and bear down on it for metal displacement- pop! off comes the flag.
Pinch the flag base to get a fracture line, and then go at it again for the final fracture. Be carefull, the brass mixing screw is kinda delicate, and you dont want to break it off below grade. They are generally unobtanium too.
When you finally get the mixing screw to turn out you will likely need to utilize a home-made hook tool (real small hook, made out of stiff small gage wire) to latch onto the sealing o-ring and back-up washer that -may- stick to the screw -or- might still be down in the well.
DON'T loose or damage that o-ring, they are REALLY hard to source, and generally only available in a proper OEM carb overhaul packing kit.
Use Yamaha Carb. cleaning solution (emulsified surfactants)-ONLY- for carb soaks, aerosol carb cleaners are OK if used sparingly, (and blown dry immediately). Traditional automotive carb soaks are WAY too aggressive and will destroy delicate bushings,spacers, and seals.
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No offense... The mixture screw isn't really worth all of the hassle removing it!
It's just a low speed, fuel/air mixture idle adjustment,
and because most carts are pedal start, and don't idle, it has very little, to no function.
The main, and pilot jets would be the biggest concern when getting the carb clean.

Just my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
No offense... The mixture screw isn't really worth all of the hassle removing it!
It's just a low speed, fuel/air mixture idle adjustment,
and because most carts are pedal start, and don't idle, it has very little, to no function.
The main, and pilot jets would be the biggest concern when getting the carb clean.

Just my .02

100 percent agree, very rarely does it need to be adjusted anyway.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
How Nice
Not Yet Wild

OK, then if I do decide to ever take it out I have very detailed instructions. Thanks, guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car