lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 idle mod

Most people put a switch to short the pedal then it runs, long as the idle is set above the starter rpm it will not 'power' the starter anyway. They use the key to turn it on or off, you just don't have a 'start'. Turn your switch off and it acts like a normal cart.

To do that you would need to disconnect the start solenoid from the key/pedal, that and the ignition all come on at same time. Problem is the gen charges the battery through the same cables it starts with via the solenoid, so you can't charge that way. I don't think you can stop it from starting, some gen would do that like ones on a 70s cub cadet but I don't know the difference between them. You could try to figure out how they worked.

Most people run the bypass if they want it to idle, though there are few reasons for it to idle and its made to run like it is. Some people do short trips and want it to stay running and charging while they load something or grab the mail for example. In the winter the battery might go dead if they don't go far enough. So the bypass switch works for that.

The main issue is you can't shift very well with it running, and not supposed to, and if you don't mess with the belt setup it can pull on the belt. You need the rpm just right and correct slack in the drive belt to make it idle in gear properly. The carb has to be right on to idle real slow. It can be done, but don't worry about the engine stopping if you don't have a specific need, its just a hybrid before its time and made to run that way all day long. I just adjust about an inch of travel in the pedal before the carb opens, so I can sit there and let it idle with my foot touching the pedal. Sometimes I rather it run so it could warm up or something, but its not a big enough deal for me to wire a switch yet lol. And I've put a lot of trail miles on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Gotcha, I'll go out with the multimeter later and check the voltage on the batt and then start it up and release the starting button too see if there is some kind of charge happening. But that does make sense if the relay is not engaged then there is no connection to the battery, didn't think about that part. As for the gears (F-R) you definitely want to shut down between the 2. I also have to figure how to get some belt slack, as that would greatly help it not creep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lancejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancejustin View Post
I also have to figure how to get some belt slack, as that would greatly help it not creep.
Your Extra belt slack is going to hurt your low speed power, And your motor rpm will increase to reach same top speed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Your Extra belt slack is going to hurt your low speed power, And your motor rpm will increase to reach same top speed.
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I would love to find a weight kit for the clutches that replaces them with lighter ones like you mentioned. I'm to scared to modify mine lol

Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Call G-boost. They offer lots of weights, can help you out with a good belt too.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Call G-boost. They offer lots of weights, can help you out with a good belt too.
Thanks cgtech

Old 05-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Is it a stock clutch, I drilled holes in mine it helped a little but could not change it that much.

I did a test on my G9 I ran with a gps. I started with a broken tension cable so belt was loose. Put one on and ran it over and over and kept tightening it. I would start on a small hill to see how it took off up the hill then run top speed or very close when it leveled off. I got to a point where the belt was tight and it lost top speed, but take off up the hill from dead stop kept getting better. I loosened it up a little and it went back to same top speed it had in all other tests. It still started on the hill and went right up it. I never moved it until I put the clone engine in.

I got it to not creep by making the idle really low, just faster than the starter, and tuning the idle mix a lot to make it idle good. And by greasing the clutch about every month of use. I had already put a new bushing and seals in the clutch. After a month or so it would start to creep. I would stop and look and could pull the clutch out a little more by hand, shot of grease and it came out itself, that fixed it.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #18
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Is it a stock clutch, I drilled holes in mine it helped a little but could not change it that much.

I did a test on my G9 I ran with a gps. I started with a broken tension cable so belt was loose. Put one on and ran it over and over and kept tightening it. I would start on a small hill to see how it took off up the hill then run top speed or very close when it leveled off. I got to a point where the belt was tight and it lost top speed, but take off up the hill from dead stop kept getting better. I loosened it up a little and it went back to same top speed it had in all other tests. It still started on the hill and went right up it. I never moved it until I put the clone engine in.

I got it to not creep by making the idle really low, just faster than the starter, and tuning the idle mix a lot to make it idle good. And by greasing the clutch about every month of use. I had already put a new bushing and seals in the clutch. After a month or so it would start to creep. I would stop and look and could pull the clutch out a little more by hand, shot of grease and it came out itself, that fixed it.
Great information sho305 [emoji846][emoji106]
I have my idle set really low as well and greased my clutch a few days ago. Do you adjust your choke at all?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I jetted the carb richer after I removed that silencer thing over the generator that goes into the airbox. I only used the choke in the winter after that. Now on my clone I have a CV scooter carb with a powered enrichment, but its a pumper carb so you can pump the gas in winter and it starts anyway. One of these days I'll get the slide pumper carb on, have to make an adapter to mount it on. I made an intake that comes around the front of the engine, so the carb is there now. In a G9 its right into the rear shock with a clone, so I moved it.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...ml#post1435453
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha