lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default G9 suspension upgrade

Just wondering what suggestions yall might have for my G9. Looks decent enough and runs great. However, the suspension pretty much SUCKS. My cart almost never sees any kind of pavement unless it is parked (it stays in my shop). The rest of the time it's on flat, but very "potholly" terrain. My driveway is literally a path I keep mowed through the pasture and my street is a private (IE unmaintained) dirt road. I've had to unstuck my car in my street with a 4wheeler...

What kind of suspension (springs/shock) could I use off something else for better articulation and better absorption of all the holes. Thinking sport atv like a 400ex type suspension. Doeant have to be THAT good (I can do 50-60mph up my driveway in q 400ex... dont ask me how I know lol). My G9 beats me to death doing like 15mph...

Any suggestions/swaps would be much appreciated. And I'm not afraid to fab/modify whatever I need to I'm just looking for suggestions because you guys have already pretty much done it all!
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 suspension upgrade

I've had all types of suspension systems on the carts I've built through the years. I've had welded homemade lifts, Jakes lifts, All Sport lifts, off brand lifts. The problem with the golf cart suspension is that it's a single a arm (aka swingarm) design. The more movement/articulation you give it, the more out of whack the steering becomes. You get tire scrub and bump steer. Both are terrible for safe handling. I have even grafted an atv suspension under my G1 cart because of multiple attempts with these other kits. They make the cart look good, but they handle terrible and, in my opinion, are very dangerous past 20 mph.

Do yourself a favor and get the Jakes Long Travel suspension kit.

I've used that kit on a G9 that I recently built, and it is simply fantastic!!! It WILL give you sport atv feel, and I know that feeling since I used to race atv's. The ride will be softer. The steering will be predictable. At 25-35 mph you will have confidence that the cart will go where you want it to go.

I will NEVER use another suspension type on any lifted cart that I build in the future. The extra cost is worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3746.jpg (486.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3748.jpg (479.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3750.jpg (535.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking for mega lift or speed... just something that will absorb the bumps better. I've also got the governor set to top out around 17mph and have no intention of ever going faster than that. I rarely go that fast to be honest. Mostly just putting around the farm, just get pretty beat up doing it :)

Just to ask, is there something that will be a noticeable improvement without the big cost? Dont necessarily need super performance the Jake's kit has, no doubt it's probably top of the line, but I'll never use it to what its capable of
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The Jakes or AllSports Double A arm lift could be a good bet. Not as good as the LT, but better than the single A. And remember, it's a golf cart. Even with the LT, the rear is still going to be almost rigid. I'm not sure that flying over pothole terrain is gonna happen.

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I agree with Dave unless you want to spend LOTS of money, Jakes or AllSports Double A arm lift is the way to go!

2175.jpg

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks a lot. $300 for a nice lift kit i can swallow. Im sure its an awesome kit but it is hard to justify spending almost $800 for a LT kit for a cart i'm only into for about $500 total investment. Ton of time into it but not much $ :) I never drive real fast, and it's not "potholy" i guess as much as it is just uneven. my land was a huge pig farm for a couple hundred years, so where they rooted it up doing what pigs do best it's just bouncy and uneven. Any of my 4wheelers I can fly up my driveway as fast as i want, they absorb it all no problem. but the cart has suspension equivalent to a lawnmower. Have to watch my speed on the lawnmower as well or it'll bounce me off when i mow the driveway.

hmmm... Maybe this weekend i'll have a race between my mower and the golf cart, see which one wins. Would be a close call!

is one of them better than the other, all sport vs. jakes? I have a nice set of 25" tires I'd like to use if it they'll fit with one of the lifts. I'm going to need to replace the tires on it anyway, they are fine but not a lot of tread and a couple of them leak down over a couple weeks. not quick enough it's a big deal (plus they were free, i had them laying around) but just one more thing i have to keep an eye on. So tire money could become lift money if i can make the 25's work :)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

oh and i love that front bumper on the blue one. did you make that or buy it from somewhere?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
oh and i love that front bumper on the blue one. did you make that or buy it from somewhere?
The bumper is for a Yamaha Rhino, got it from ebay.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

looks awesome on there. perfect width for fit, did you have to modify it to make it fit? or just weld on some brackets to mount it and it just fits that good? I just was looking at your build page, awesome job. but the bumper was just gone... and then done lol
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
looks awesome on there. perfect width for fit, did you have to modify it to make it fit? or just weld on some brackets to mount it and it just fits that good? I just was looking at your build page, awesome job. but the bumper was just gone... and then done lol
Yes, I had to cut it to fit and make mounting brackets.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha