lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
dartguy77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default New to me G11 Oil Consumption

I recently bought a Yamaha G11. I have had it about a week now. Oil level was slightly low when I brought it home. I added about half a quart of oil to bring it up to full mark. I haven't driven it much (4 or 5 miles) because the belt was slipping, and i don't like to be stranded. New belt arrived yesterday. I rolled it on and went for a short drive around the house. Oil light came on as I was putting it away.
Two questions:
Should the oil light come on with key on and engine not running (mine doesn't)

Since the oil light does not come on when key is on, but engine not running, does the light indicate low level or low pressure.

Btw, oil level was a little low (about half way between full and low) again.
Thanks in advance
dartguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: New to me G11 Oil Consumption

I don't know what year your G11 is. Could be a J38 or JN5 or possibly (not likely) JR6 engine. Normal oil loss on Yamaha engines is blown side case gasket (oil leaking every where on the engine) or worn oil rings on the piston. Does it smoke out of the exhaust?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
dartguy77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Being a parts guy, I should have given more information. How many time have I heard "They are all the same!"

Cart is a 1994 G11. I do not have the serial number next to me, but I thought it was JJ3 10*****?

I did not notice it smoking until I let my daughter drive it tonight. Yes it does smoke quite a bit.

I forgot to ask the PO what oil he used. Maybe tomorrow I will drain the oil and put some fresh 10W40 in it. I do see that most people suggest synthetic oil. Does it hurt anything to run conventional oil in these engines?

Thanks
David
Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If no oil leaks, most likely worn oil rings, very common.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
dartguy77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Oil light is still coming on at random. I think i have a loose wire somewhere. J38 engine is still using oil. I ride 30 to 45 minutes and have to add about 1/4th of a quart. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I believe it is time to decide if I want to rebuild the original engine or replace with a clone.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
greenskeeper
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartguy77 View Post
Oil light is still coming on at random. I think i have a loose wire somewhere. J38 engine is still using oil. I ride 30 to 45 minutes and have to add about 1/4th of a quart. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I believe it is time to decide if I want to rebuild the original engine or replace with a clone.
If it runs well, I'd keep driving it.

Do you know if the cart sat for a while before you bought it? If so, a small amount of MMO added through the spark plug hole and allow it to sit can do wonders for loosing up a stuck rings.
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
dartguy77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil?

Yes, PO says it did sit a year or so. It smokes really bad at times. Most of the time, it doesn't smoke at all.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
greenskeeper
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartguy77 View Post
MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil?

Yes, PO says it did sit a year or so. It smokes really bad at times. Most of the time, it doesn't smoke at all.
Yes. Marvel Mystery Oil.

Sounds like a sticking oil control ring. I'd try the cheap MMO method of removing the spark plug, setting the piston at the bottom of it's stroke, and pour some MMO in and let it sit for a few days. Be sure to crank the engine over before putting the spark plug back in to get rid of any leftover MMO.

Seafoam is also good for this procedure as well.
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

After the MMO I'd also use 20w50 oil. Helps with a loose engine
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
dartguy77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I picked up some MMO today. It smells a lot like Marvel Air Tool Oil. I will pull the spark plug tonight and follow your instructions. Will be spending all day with DW, so probably no cart time tomorrow anyway.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha