lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
mikoz
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default drive2 "unique key"

Hi all,

I have a yamaha drive2 with turns signals which theoretically provides a unique key.

However, it was picked up for service today and found this not to be the case. I left the cart on the driveway and a key in an agreed upon spot around the outside of the house. However, when he showed up to pick up the cart, I noticed that the cart was being moved and my "unique" key was still in its hiding spot. Finding this to be odd, I stopped him before he drove away and learned that he took a regular drive or drive2 non-unique yamaha key and was able to move it. I asked him to show me what he did. The key just had to be jiggled a bit to work. Basically, he inserted the key and it wouldn't turn, so he literally just moved the key around and it turned. It took 2 seconds of fiddling with it to make it work.

This seems to imply that you can put the "non-turn signal key" from yamaha into a unique keyed yamaha, jiggle it a bit and simply drive away. I find this to be disturbing.

Is this a known problem?
mikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: drive2 "unique key"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoz View Post
Hi all,

I have a yamaha drive2 with turns signals which theoretically provides a unique key.

However, it was picked up for service today and found this not to be the case. I left the cart on the driveway and a key in an agreed upon spot around the outside of the house. However, when he showed up to pick up the cart, I noticed that the cart was being moved and my "unique" key was still in its hiding spot. Finding this to be odd, I stopped him before he drove away and learned that he took a regular drive or drive2 non-unique yamaha key and was able to move it. I asked him to show me what he did. The key just had to be jiggled a bit to work. Basically, he inserted the key and it wouldn't turn, so he literally just moved the key around and it turned. It took 2 seconds of fiddling with it to make it work.

This seems to imply that you can put the "non-turn signal key" from yamaha into a unique keyed yamaha, jiggle it a bit and simply drive away. I find this to be disturbing.

Is this a known problem?
It doesn't seem that maximum security was a high priority with these carts. If I wanted a more secure key switch, I'd install an aftermarket version, with a truly unique key.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
mikoz
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi

Yes maybe that’s the right thing to do..install an aftermarket key. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoz View Post
Hi

Yes maybe that’s the right thing to do..install an aftermarket key. Do you have any recommendations?
Well, I've never done it myself, but the good news is that the switch is a pretty basic SPST design, so you could get one at any automotive or Lawn mower supply store.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The truth is that most of them aren't "unique" keys but rather "uncommon" keyed locks. Yamaha, EZGO, Club Car have the standard keyed locks so the golf courses don't go nuts trying to keep them straight, then the uncommon keys for those who don't want everyone to have keys to their stuff. Of course all you've really done is taken it from 1000 locals who have "your keys" to 50 who do. I went to Napa and got a ignition lock that is truly different.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
JerEazy
Getting Wild

I’m a huge fan of hidden battery switches.

My G1 has a battery key and then the FWD/Rev key.

I ditched the battery key and hid an ignition kill switch. If you really want maximum security I would recommend something similar. A $8 switch from autozone splicedninto the ignition wire from the key installed under the frame or under a seat or in a glove box etc can make your cart just slightly more secure.
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbaggerYDRA View Post
Well, I've never done it myself, but the good news is that the switch is a pretty basic SPST design, so you could get one at any automotive or Lawn mower supply store.
Where did you get this erroneous info? Any Drive or Drive2 with factory lights has a 4 pin keyswitch, and when you get in there and start messing with things, you will get weird stuff like "cart only runs when key in OFF", and "lights only work when key in ON, but cart won't run in ON". Have fun with that...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
mikoz
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi

The poster who said it’s a simple SPST switch is correct. I even traced it through the schematic. There are only two wires into the switch. The red wire is hot from the fuse box. The brown wire is the other side of the switch which gets closed with the key. That’s it. There are 4 wires in the plug but you only need two to make the “on” connection. I also verified this with a tee splice. Red is always hot, Brown is 12v when key is on. The brown goes to the fuel pump and pedal, etc.

This cart is one 3mm hex screw and a wire stripper away from being stolen.

Clearly I need to look at something mire significant to protect it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha