lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G29 smoke issue

I have a G29 with a Plowman’s kit that was running fine until yesterday. I can’t see how this would be related, but I installed a Plowman muffler and instantly started getting smoke. I expected a little smoke, but this was overwhelming and the cart felt very “bogged” down. I pulled the Plowman muffler off and reinstalled the stock muffler and the smoke cleared up by about 90%.
I called Don plowman today and asked if he had ever heard of that happening and of course he said no, “that’s impossible”.
This afternoon, I changed the oil, plug, and cleaned the Plowman air filter. I also reinstalled the Plowman muffler again to see if the smoke cleaned up.
Sure enough, major smoke again (whitish blue) smoke and the cart doesn’t seem to run as smoothly as normal. I changed the Plowman air filter out for a new OEM filter and didn’t see any changes.

Does anyone have any advise on where to start? This is very frustrating as the cart was 100% done and now it can’t even be used with the new $430 muffler. Any advise would be much appreciated
Full Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 smoke issue

Just a quick update. I put the old OEM muffler on and the smoke is almost gone. Could I have received a bad muffler? Is it possible that it just takes longer to break in a new muffler? Nothing sounds loose and air blows freely through it. But when it’s installed it definitely feels like something is clogging the exhaust flow. Not getting great support from Plowmans except for a 35% restocking fee and freight
Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Where is the smoke coming from? I'm no Yamaha expert, but after decades of working on everything from lawn mowers to racecars, I have never seen a muffler create smoke.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Coming straight out of the tail pipe. I can’t figure it out to save my life. But the old OEM muffler is back in now and it running good. Still a hint of smoke, but nothing major
Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

IDK. Never seen or heard of anything like that. But, I would give Mr. Plowman a chance to explore this before giving him a hard time about it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So I think I have a rebuild or engine swap in the near future. There is no way this muffler is causing it to smoke and I can see oil starting to leak.
Should I rebuild or replace with a big block?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Yamaha2000r6
Not Yet Wild

Have you changed the oil recently or anything? Any possibility of it being overfilled? Also would you want to sell the plowmans muffler if you don’t use it?
Yamaha2000r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I am going to order the VC big block kit so I will be selling the muffler and all of the Plowman kit that isn't re-used which is everything but the secondary clutch. Please PM me if anyone is interested
Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

May just be residue left over.feom the manufacturing process when the muffler was built. I'd run it and see if it burns itself off. I'd bet eventually it clears itself up
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Full Tilt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The muffler is good. Engine is not. I guess I should have expected it with all the mods done to an old clapped out engine. I'm excited for the big block kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha