lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Starting issue with G29

I have a situation I could use some assistance with. I have a 2011 G29 Gas cart.

Running along last night the cart just died. I stepped on the pedal to restart and the s/g turns over but the cart didn't start and I had to take the battery terminal off in order to get the s/g to stop spinning. I eventually got the cart to start and it runs fine as long as you don't let off the gas. As soon as you do the problem begins again and sometimes the cart will start, but most times in won't and I'll need to remove the battery terminal again to get the s/g to quit.

I took apart the pedal stop switch and cleaned it with electrical cleaner but that didn't seem to have any affect.

I did some additional reading and see that there's a relay in the back by the voltage regulator that could be bad. It's a $75 part so I'd rather not change it unless I'm pretty sure it's the problem.

Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Joel
jseymfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Starting issue with G29

Unplug the voltage regulator, try the cart again.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

With the voltage regulator unplugged the cart acted similar.
The s/g was running, the cart wouldn't start and I had to pull the battery terminal to get it to quit. This time though the s/g would start spinning as soon as I hooked the battery back up. I had to re-connect the voltage regulator with the battery terminal off and then re-connect the battery to get it to stop.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

***... I don’t have input on this but I have a g29 and like to know the issue Incase I have it.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I messed with it a little more and got it started. Once I got it running I put a volt meter on the battery while I increased rpm's. The voltage stayed steady at 12.3 so I'm guessing maybe the voltage regulator may be bad.

Starting is still intermittent and when it does start the key switch will shut the cart off normally. When it doesn't start there's no spark.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I unplugged the white plug with the black and blue wires at the front of the motor and I get consistent spark and the cart starts normally but won't shut off with the key. I assume this means the TCI unit is good?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When the cart is trying to start but just 'running' on the s/g and I unplug the white plug with the black and blue wires in front of the motor the engine immediately starts.
I'm guessing engine relay
Any ideas or something else to check?????
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Why would you not think sticking solenoid? Get it stuck running and tap on the solenoid with a wrench. It shuts off, you found your issue. Ive seen this a few times
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'll give it a try.
Thank you.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
jseymfish
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I tapped on the solenoid as it was sticking and it does shut off the s/g as predicted. So I replaced the solenoid with a genuine yamaha part and I'll be damned if it doesn't do the same exact thing.

I did notice that when it's running (not just on the s/g) it doesn't seem to be sending any voltage to the battery. Meter reads about 12.3 at the most when the rpms are increased.
What might cause a solenoid to stick or act like it's stuck??? My s/g is relatively new but did I get a lemon?

As always any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha