lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Default Well heck

1994 G9 gas. Never used a drop of oil so checking it was a 3 or 4 week thing. I changed oil a month ago. Only 30W oil I had was some 5w30 synthetic so I used it instead of the 10w30 conventional that I normally use. 4 weeks go by and I check the oil. None showing on the dipstick. What the heck? Still no 10w30 on the shelf so I put 10w40 in. Now I get a puff of smoke at startup. Are the valve guide seals bad now or are the valve guides toast? Was thinking of selling this after the purchase of the Club Car,but if there is an engine problem I wouldn't want to sell that to anyone without disclosing. The worth of the cart just tanked. The Yardsport YS200 may have to go then. Maybe I can do the mods to the cart I always wanted to do for better off road (gravel road) use.
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Well heck

It would take years for the valve guide seals to run the motor out of oil. Ok maybe not years, but it would take a very long time.

Put it in neutral, flip up the seat and run the motor, watching the exhaust. I'd bet theres at least some smoke pretty much all the time. But still unless you drive it a LOT, it would still take quite a bit of time to burn off all that oil, unless the rings are completely shot. In which case, youd have quite the smoke show. It does not take much oil to make a LOT of smoke.

Check your drain plug and check it for leaks before assuming the worst. My G9 would smoke up a city block before I rebuilt the motor. And it would still take a couple months of use before oil woulnt show on the dipstick...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Did you over fill it a little bit? 1qt only and that's it. Check your air box because if you over filled it, that's where some will be. But like CP said check your drain plug and make sure that everything is ok.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
mozzer
Not Yet Wild

I think lots of people run synthetic all the time from reading other threads, whatever the problem is (& hopefully there isn't anything major) you didn't cause it by your choice of oil.

Sent using Tapatalk - G9
mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

My G2 definitely consumed more on synthetic, that's why I switched back to conventional.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
jacobsond
Getting Wild

There is no big leak at the drain plug. Just a little of the normal weeping it does. Not enough to leave any sign on the garage floor. We typically drive it around 5+ miles a day when its nice. I just added oil and am going off what the dipstick says. I will drain and refill and go from there. There has been no smoking before so I don't know were that Qt of oil could have gone. It still runs good and sounds pretty good. I will drive it on my dog runs instead of the UTV and monitor oil level closely. That will be about 3-5 miles a day.I still have to decide whether to keep the utv or the cart. Not enough room for 2 carts and a utv.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Is your cart lifted?
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #8
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Its not lifted. I checked the oil yesterday before taking it out. It was down a 1/16. Blue smoke for about 1/2 block. After about another block I heard an unusual noise. Sounded like it was coming from underneath the cart. I brought it back home. I will need to start diagnosing it better now. Will do a compression and leak down test. I will also pull the valve cover off and inspect. May pull the head depending what I find.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha