lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Gorhad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is safe minimum voltage before use?

Check the SG

go to local auto store and buy the instrument its very inexpensive got mine for under 10 bucks, check each cell and post back. See attached for good readings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 15 views)
Gorhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It still may be batteries. Put your meter on the battery pack, turn on the key and press the throttle, do you get a big voltage drop? If it drops to 35v or less, it's probably one or more bad batteries.
If no voltage drop, then your right, it may be something else like a solenoid or even the throttle switch..
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes if you have 38v in the pack and it will not move then you have other problems
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorhad View Post
Check the SG

go to local auto store and buy the instrument its very inexpensive got mine for under 10 bucks, check each cell and post back. See attached for good readings
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...rytable1-1.jpg
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

39 volts while on the charger after 8 hours....those battrees are no good
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Carwhisperer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
39 volts while on the charger after 8 hours....those battrees are no good
Guess I'll throw 'em in the trash. After all, you've been fixing golf carts for 28 years. No need to find out anything further, right?

Last test drive I had clicky clicky from a solenoid. Voltage dropped to 35ish from 38 with the pedal depressed. My cables look a bit corroded so I think I'll try cleaning them. Then I'll report back.
Brian
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post

If I've got 38v after resting for 1 hour and it won't drive then I've probably got other problems?
No it means your batteries will not take a charge. They are heavily sulfated with hard lead sulfide crystals coating the plates, which means very high resistance, which means very little current. The 38 volts you see is a surface charge, let them set for a couple of hours and that voltage will crash. Or put a load (draw current) on the battery and the voltage will crash.

Lead acid batteries cannot tolerate left being left discharge, or else lead sulfate crystals will form on the plates and harden.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #18
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

if you have 38.2 volts after the pack has set for more then one hour you have problems else were the battery pack is good...
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #19
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Brian,
One of the hardest things to hear for a new cart owner is "Your batteries are trashed.... it will take $700 to fix it" The reason you can pick up a used cart cheap is because the previous owner is dumping it... they know the batteries are shot. They charge them up .. give you 3 minutes to test it... and now it's your problem...So now it's time to move past this stage. The posters here are trying to help you. Do you want to know how to test individual cells of a battery? Do you want to explore the possibility of using ebay elixer ? it's all available in this forum.... bottom line though... your batteries are toast....sorry
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Brian,
One of the hardest things to hear for a new cart owner is "Your batteries are trashed.... it will take $700 to fix it" The reason you can pick up a used cart cheap is because the previous owner is dumping it... they know the batteries are shot. They charge them up .. give you 3 minutes to test it... and now it's your problem...So now it's time to move past this stage. The posters here are trying to help you. Do you want to know how to test individual cells of a battery? Do you want to explore the possibility of using ebay elixer ? it's all available in this forum.... bottom line though... your batteries are toast....sorry
I agree
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car