lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: battery tray corrosion

I think I'm gonna be sick........
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
dgjks6
Not Yet Wild

since we are looking at my degraded battery tray - in the picture posted above there is an orange wire that was connected to nothing. Anyone have any idea what that went to?

And I know it looks bad, but all I could think of when taking the batteries out is how lucky I am that the batteries did not fall out while the kids were driving.
dgjks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you get this repaired spray the whole frame assembly with truck bed liner. Rust-O-Leum and some others make this in a spray can. It holds up real well to battery acid and should prevent this from happening again.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
dgjks6
Not Yet Wild

So I got most of the corrision off and I am in the process of fixing the supports. I found some wood between the edge of the battery tray and the side of the golf cart body.

Is this supposed to be there? Do I need to replace it?
dgjks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

no on the wood ......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjks6 View Post
So I got most of the corrision off and I am in the process of fixing the supports. I found some wood between the edge of the battery tray and the side of the golf cart body.

Is this supposed to be there? Do I need to replace it?
dgjks6,
I had the same problem from a cart that I bought. I did like the gent's are saying here. I cleaned like crazy using neutralizer and grinding wheel and wire brush. Then I cut out the old aluminum and riveted in new aluminum angle pieces. I didn't quite have the amount of deterioration on the center 2 battery compartment that you have. Like scottyB said, you will need to find a good way to repair that one as well.

Don't forget to drill holes for the battery tie downs.. I forgot to drill the holes before I riveted the new pieces in and it was a little bit of a pain to drill them afterward.

Here is my before and after pic's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2491.jpg (141.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2571.jpg (55.0 KB, 41 views)
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The extent of damage looks as though you need to clean it up good ( as Scottyb says )and ( weld ) in new correct guage of aluminum angle? I saw a new aftermarket replacement Club Car frame that a non dealer was installing and it looked like it was about 1/4" material around battery area? Looks like your cross member is damaged beyond repair and just riveting or bolting I dont think will support the 140 plus pounds of battery weight and give the needed structural support needed?
This has been caused by previous owners neglect and nothing is going to stop this kind of damage unless the present owner does a good job of maintenance and does not over fill batterys? NOTHING REPLACES REGULAR BATTERY SERVICING AND CLEANING.
In my area near the ocean many different brands of cart owners are having a pick up spray bed liner material ( RHINO FLEX, ETC MATERIALS ) added that helps in many ways.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
The extent of damage looks as though you need to clean it up good ( as Scottyb says )and ( weld ) in new correct guage of aluminum angle? I saw a new aftermarket replacement Club Car frame that a non dealer was installing and it looked like it was about 1/4" material around battery area? Looks like your cross member is damaged beyond repair and just riveting or bolting I dont think will support the 140 plus pounds of battery weight and give the needed structural support needed?
This has been caused by previous owners neglect and nothing is going to stop this kind of damage unless the present owner does a good job of maintenance and does not over fill batterys? NOTHING REPLACES REGULAR BATTERY SERVICING AND CLEANING.
In my area near the ocean many different brands of cart owners are having a pick up spray bed liner material ( RHINO FLEX, ETC MATERIALS ) added that helps in many ways.

I agree with the Old South Texas Mechanic on the structural note

Consider the weight and the fact that every bump makes the batteries act like a big hammer.... weld in repairs
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

any local ace hardware will sell aluminum angle in 60" lengths also
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
cdb770
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Actually if you use the correct cherrymax structural rivets in the construction it can be quite sturdy and hold the 140 lbs easily. Go to Fastenal.com and search structural rivets/fasteners and make sure to use enough in a pettern of at least four to five in a domino pattern to spread out the load on each end.

note the tensile strength of the rivets is 1200 lbs.

Diameter 3/16"
Head Button
Head Diameter 0.355" - 0.400"
Length 0.416"
Specification ASME/ANSI B18.1.1
Type Structural Blind Rivet
Drill Size #11
Head Height 0.090"
Hole Size 0.194" - 0.204"
Grip Range 0.052" - 0.250"
Material - Body/Mandrel Stainless Steel/Stainless Steel
Tensile Strength 1200 lb
Series SSB6-4SKL
Shipping Weight 0.0080 lbs.
cdb770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car