lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
KeithSc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club cart upgrade

Have just finished my lift kit now I want more torque and a little more speed. What would be first motor or controller. If I go bigger on my controller how big should I go. Bigger cables are on my wish list also. Not sure on an electric cart how to proceed are there other parts that I need to change? Any help would be greatly apprecitaed. My cart is a 2001 club car 48 volt vrom what I make of things it is a serries version.
KeithSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club cart upgrade

Bigger controller and cables go hand in hand then HD F&R and Bigger tires.........
Bigger tires and adding seating or off roading all enter into the controller size equation
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
KeithSc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Off roading intothe deer woods are part of the plan with the fold down seating. 22x11x10 tires and wheels are getting ordered today so what do I use as a guide to size my controller what is a HD F&R?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

HD F&R = Heavy Duty Forward & Reverse switch. Look at my signature which is a cart just like yours and it will let you know what my combination will do with good batteries. I am not the least bit disappointed with my set up. I do need to turn down the throttle for others, so they quit barking the tires and breaking their necks. You can save some money with a non programmable controller. I went with the Alltrax because I got a good deal. I have heard the Logisystems is a good non programmable controller. There probably are some decent combinations that do not require wire upgrades but it is recommended.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

HD F&R = heavy duty forward & reverse switch

You have all the usual requirements for more torque from a modified off road cart.
Every modification you are going to make will add weight to the cart and eventually more passengers or cargo. The bigger tires will require more power to turn and the off rod terrain will tax the cart also.
You will need to supply you motor with more amperage to operate under these conditions.
A 400a controller is a minimum. 500a would be better but, cost rise accordingly.
You will need a full set of 4 or 2 gauge cables depending upon the controller you choose.
You will need a good set of batteries, a HD solenoid, and the beefed up F&R too.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
KeithSc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Some of the abrevations for these electrical parts are greek to me yet. You mention a D&D ES-81? and what solenoid would I be replacing sounds like I need a shop manual to guide me.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

dtkana has a speed setup. This setup will not work for your offroad cart. You need torque not speed. they are two different builds.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
KeithSc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What solenoid would I be replacing? Programable type controller I would guess is better?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
KeithSc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

DO they make kits that would have the needed parts according to my needs or is it better to get indivadual parts.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithSc View Post
DO they make kits that would have the needed parts according to my needs or is it better to get indivadual parts.
Either way, If you are new to DC carts it is best to buy a matched set up. You can easily get the wrong stuff that won't work.

A quick study of your carts wiring diagram may be a good place for you to start, print it out and start by locating the components we are talking about on your cart ...... wiring diagrams are in the stickies at the top of this section...... 1st determine whether your cart is a series or sepex (regen) drive system.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car