lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
KimK
Not Yet Wild

Smile Advice on wiring headlights

Hi All,

I just got a 2001 Club Car DS electric, 48v system. I want to put some headlights on it and of course facing the difficulty of light sets typically being 12v and the cart having 8v batteries. I have gotten from a friend some 24v bulbs and actually they fit right into the sockets on the 12v light kit I bought. I figure that if I hook the 2 lights up in series I will be at 48v and for the amount of time that I will likely use these lights, I am not too concerned about their impact on the batteries (likely use them once or twice a month for no more than 10 minutes at a time - but on an island wtih no lights, so they are important when I need them!). Anyway- question is - is it all right to just hook them to the same terminals as the cart main power? I have seen some batteries that have 2 terminals, one for main power and one for accessories, but my batteries not like that and I wonder if it is okay to just use the main studs? Any thoughts appreciated!

Kim
KimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Advice on wiring headlights

No problem at all, 48v is 48v as far as the headlights are concerned. Make sure you ground the circuit to the battery pack, no frame grounds allowed on sparky carts, and fuse the circuit properly.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just dont forget and try and add turn signals, radio-stereo etc as they will not work in series like bulbs do.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Pembroke36
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I added a 12v battery for a motorcycle. I run two fog lights, tail light and 2 sidemarker lights. They seem to last forever because I run them for a few minutes at a time. I charged the battery twice in the past 3 or 4 months.
Pembroke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

why not just do it right and put a 48 volt to 12 volt reducer on it?........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use a sealed handicaped scooter battery ( UB 12350 ) that costs much less $55.00 last one purchased than whole pack reducers and has more amps ( 40 amp hour rated ) available than most reducers and it can be mounted in any position as its sealed. For years I just threw mine in passenger glove box before mounting over front suspension. I charge mine twice a month from a chaep Harbor Freight charger $19.95. I have 50 watt headlights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, radio, stereo, dash lights, 50 watt driving lights.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, electric cart, headlights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car