lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
contender
Not Yet Wild

Default Retired cart vs. one owner cart

I have been looking for a precedent for several weeks now. What I am wanting to do is install a lift kit, tires/rims, and a back seat. I know I will need to upgrade a few other things with with theses modifications. I am going to use the cart around the neighborhood and at my hunting camp. I live on the gulf coast so the land is really all flat around here. The question I have is- I have been looking at several retired golf carts (06/07 precedents) that are selling around 2200 to 2400$ in my area. I know a guy that has a 07 precedent he bought new (he says he paid 6500$) from club car with that has been well taken care of with VERY little use. He wants 2700$ for it. Is it worth spending the extra 500$ for a cart that has not been used and abused? What I was thinking is, if I do all these upgrades will I need to replace the motor too? And if so, why not buy a retired cart because once you replace motor, batteries, cables and all will it be like a new cart or will you have any other problems being it has been used a lot? This is going to be my first cart so you guys bare with me!!! Also all the carts I have been looking at will need new batteries within a few years. Any help from y'all is appreciated....Thanks

Last edited by contender; 08-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Retired cart vs. one owner cart

The major thing you have to look at is BATTERYS? Yes some course carts are run into the ground but others are better taken care of than private owned carts? First are they 8 volt or 12 volt and how old are they? 12 volt batterys around here in a Precedent pulls price down about $1000 plus as CC has found that they dont do the job and have a short life compared to 8 volters, and conversion costs are about $500 and up PLUS BATTERYS and LABOR. 12 volt batterys seem to be lasting only 1-2? years when maintained, while 8 volt are lasting 5 plus years. I have a set of 8 volt Trojans that are coming up on 9 years and still holding charge, but they were broken in correctly and maintained correctly.
If you do indicated updates you would need to add HD rear springs because of load and should be able to keep existing motor if you would update to a higher amp controller and 4 gauge cables as tires and lift do put extra load over stock.
Remember that a stock cart was made for 12-14 mph and 2 persons at 175 pounds each and 2 sets of clubs, so anything above and beyond that requires changes.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

IMO a private cart is way better than a previous rental cart.
Rental carts can be out for 36 holes a day, personal carts are lucky to get 36 holes a week, leaving the rental cart with at least 7 times as much wear and tear.
People drive rental carts the same as rental cars......with no respect.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
contender
Not Yet Wild

Both carts have 12 volt batteries... Has club car quit putting 12 volts in the new carts now? If they are not lasting 1-2 years I can't believe people are still buying the 12 volt carts!!! Old Mec what are the precedents going for in Texas? I might be better off driving your way to get a cart... Thanks!
contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have seen precedents in the Houston area around $1900-$2200 with 07/08 batteries. I have also seen a nice DS for $1600.

http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/1869060575.html
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by contender View Post
Both carts have 12 volt batteries... Has club car quit putting 12 volts in the new carts now? If they are not lasting 1-2 years I can't believe people are still buying the 12 volt carts!!! Old Mec what are the precedents going for in Texas? I might be better off driving your way to get a cart... Thanks!
Club Car stopped putting 4x12v batteries in their Precedents last year and have reverted to the 6x8v setup that has been popular in their DS carts.
Quite a few owners have had short life battery issues since they were introduced in 2004 and some have not. IMO it is also associated with the OBC as it's format has been changed a few times as well.
I think it's unfair to say that these carts are no good as lots of people are really happy with theirs.
There is a retrofit kit available for the Precedent to convert from the 4x12v to a 6x8v setup.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

contender, take a ride up to Kiln, there is a dealer on the Kappalama Rd., Gulf Coast golf carts, I bought mine from him he usually has a decent selection of carts at reasonable prices, I got mine last year it is an 03 DS had decent batteries and all kinds of extras got it for 2200, and a friend of mine just bought one there that is an 06 with 08 batteries for 2400. This is a real upstanding dealer honest and easy to work with. Hope this helps.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by contender View Post
Yes they have quit completely. As of the 2010 model year they are no longer available.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
contender, take a ride up to Kiln, there is a dealer on the Kappalama Rd., Gulf Coast golf carts, I bought mine from him he usually has a decent selection of carts at reasonable prices, I got mine last year it is an 03 DS had decent batteries and all kinds of extras got it for 2200, and a friend of mine just bought one there that is an 06 with 08 batteries for 2400. This is a real upstanding dealer honest and easy to work with. Hope this helps.
i thought it was called THE KILN
Eric_H_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

CONTENDER-- Stock Precedents with 8 volt batterys are going for about $1800-$2100 depending on condition and extras and age of batterys. Remember each area depends on supply and demand and your area may not have that many carts for sale?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car