lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default EZGO compression

What is the compression threshold for a 350 cc engine? Do ill-fitting valves have an effect on compression? In short, if I replace or at least do a valve honing (is that the proper term?) job, will my compression improve from its present 125?
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO compression

The way to tell is to pour a little engine oil into the spark plug hole and retest your compression. The oil will temporarily seal your piston rings, so if the compression improves then the rings are worn. If the compression does not improve then it is being lost either through the head gasket or worn valves. In either case you are justified in removing the head and reseating the valves.
I hope that this answers your question
Dave.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Compression under 145 is very suspect. Adjust the valves and see if it improves. They need to adjusted periodically for maintenance to keep the seats from burning up anyway ~ So just do it LOL
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Dave and Scotty. Will do as recommended. Is it possible, at all, to do valve grinding without replacing the valve stem seal? Can valve seals be "saved" as it will take me some time to get replacement?
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sure you can reuse your stem seals but you will be heading down a path of tears. As I like to say it is your cart, your money and your call but if it were me I would hang fire and wait until I had new seals.
If you do regrind your valves a tip the old guys use is to reassemble the valves and springs, turn the head upside down and fill each chamber with kerosine. Leave over night and next morning look under the head. If there is any kerosine on the end of a valve stem you need to rework that seat.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! Good advice.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Dave Cicone
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1987 ezgo 2 stroke i have installed a new carb drained old fuel put in new compresssion is about 90 psi i have installed new cables to attach the the governer
when i try to start it with starter fuild its hard to start when it does start it reeves up and i have to shut it down or it will keep going it has great spark.and has a electric fuel pump belts are new what the heck is wrong with it can any help please

thanks Dave
Dave Cicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

^^^^ Dave: See Scotty's post. ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Compression under 145 is very suspect. Adjust the valves and see if it improves. They need to adjusted periodically for maintenance to keep the seats from burning up anyway ~ So just do it LOL
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

His is a 2 stroke, and has nothing to do with the rest of this thread. He should start his own to avoid the confusion.

Electric fuel pump is a mistake.

Hard to start could be worn crankseals, or gummed up carburetor.

Run away after start is carburetor being rigged wrong, and not closing all the way.

90 psi compression is bare bones minimum. 120 is more like it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO