lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rotate Batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelS View Post
Ok. That definitely makes it easier. And cheaper. Would a radio make more of a difference?
Won't make much difference, to put this into perspective here are some relative draws:
Motor at start: 10,800 watts
Motor at cruise: 2,880 watts
Headlights/tail lights: 110 watts
Stereo: 100 watts

There is little to be really concerned with if you operate your lights and radio while driving. Now if you park and use your cart as a DJ machine, that's a whole different story.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
For a small amount of power like lights it makes almost no difference.
I contacted Trojan Battery Company about this Question.
The Techs at Trojan Battery have always been helpful in the past. They do not sell DC to DC reducers. They are the most widely recognized battery manufacture in the golf cart industry. Much of my knowledge has come from studying their extensive research in the field of wet cell battery manufacture and use. All of it has been bounced off of other Golf Cart Technicians, Golf Cart business owners, Dealerships, Distribution Representatives, Battery Repair & Reconditioning Techs, the Techs at Trojan Battery Co., and tested on hundreds of golf carts and their owners.
I have been advocating DC to DC voltage reducers for any electric device if used more than VERY SELDOM; as in almost never.
I constantly run up against comments like this one quoted above. I run into golf carts re-made by western golf cart with 2 6v batteries wired to produce 12v power for radios, lights, cigarette lighters, blinkers etc.
Like I said I contacted the largest producer of Golf Cart Batteries with this question.
Here is the question I asked them and here is their answer.

Trojan Battery Response

Dear scott:

Thank you for submitting your question regarding Technical - Charger.

Based on your comments below:

Hello. We are have much discussion about the pros and cons of using a DC to DC reducer to run lights, radios, mp3 players, etc on our golf carts. Some say it is okay to use 12v from 2 6v batteries and other say this will cause an imbalance in the pack resulting in damage over time. What do you say? Thank you very much for your excellent technical support at Trojan Battery Co.

Below is Trojan Battery's response:

You should definitely use a DC to DC converter to power any electric accessories. If not, the batteries that supply accessory voltage are over-used and under-charged compared to the rest of the pack. Since your cart's performance is limited by the weakest battery in the pack, the batteries running the accessories will reduce the overall performance of the vehicle. Thanks.

If you have additional comments or questions, please contact me at the information below.

Sincerely,

Person's Name
Product Engineer
Trojan Battery Company

I can pursue this further with them, I am positive they will tell me that continued imbalance within the pack will reduce the useful life of the batteries. The bottom line is the manufacture of your batteries recommends you use a DC to DC reducer, not 2 6v batteries to produce 12v. You can dispute it but you are disputing the manufactures recommendations. I think I know how this would play out in a warranty issue, ...... ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

well , I was right for once (but who is counting , 3 )
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
NigelS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. That makes sense to me. I think a reducer in the long run would save money.
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car