lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
gsxrfan
Gone Wild

Default To Switch Or Not??

With the price and availablity of new and used batteries, I am seriously thinking of selling my electric cart and getting a gas cart.
I love my electric cart, but da$n, I just can't afford new batteries, and I can't find any used ones!! I just don't know what to do!!
gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: To Switch Or Not??

did you put a wanted ad on craigslist?
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Of course its your choice based on wants and needs but I personaly dont think a gas cart with all the problems associated with carb gunk build up and tank contamination, starter generator and belt problems, valves needing adjustments often, and besides SMELL and NOISE LEVEL is going to be cheaper than a set of quality batterys? My own cart has 9 plus year old Trojan batterys equal to modern T-875's that are still going strong. I maintain my batterys and broke them in and charge them, and clean them correctly. How well is a gas cart going to be running after the same period of time with only cleaning and water addition? Just try getting a used perfect condition motor cheaper than new set of batterys?
This is only my opinion for what its worth?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

OK here U go at current prices ,
lets say U us 2 gal of gas a week 2 x $3.50 = $7.00
Now if U drive it 50 weeks that $350.00
times the life expectancy of GOOD batteries = 5 Years.
So the 5 Years x $350 per year = $1750.00
Or almost the cost of 3 sets (15 Years worth ) of new batteries ?
Pay now or pay later

my .02 worth

PS: sonicj could tell us what an average battery charge would cost
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

based on trojan's 5hr discharge numbers for the t-875, a full discharge would consume 6,960Wh. electricity costs maybe $0.10 per kWh. a full recharge would cost about $0.696 usd. we don't typically consume an entire pack between recharges, so lets say we use 60% of available capacity... thats about $0.42 usd to recharge.

*disclaimer* Wh values above are my personal "best guess" numbers and may or may not reflect reality.
-sj
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
based on trojan's 5hr discharge numbers for the t-875, a full discharge would consume 6,960Wh. electricity costs maybe $0.10 per kWh. a full recharge would cost about $0.696 usd. we don't typically consume an entire pack between recharges, so lets say we use 60% of available capacity... thats about $0.42 usd to recharge.

*disclaimer* Wh values above are my personal "best guess" numbers and may or may not reflect reality.
-sj
Dang disclaimers, it's getting to the point can't sue anyone anymore

So if gas were $3.36 per gal. that the equiv of 8 charges (disclaimer this is my opinion and may or may not reflect the views of anyone alive or dead )
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfan View Post
With the price and availablity of new and used batteries, I am seriously thinking of selling my electric cart and getting a gas cart.
I love my electric cart, but da$n, I just can't afford new batteries, and I can't find any used ones!! I just don't know what to do!!
There are pro's and con's to each power system. If you take care of what you have, gas or elec. it will last longer than average and you will not have to change anything or sell and buy something else.

Just an opinion.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
gsxrfan
Gone Wild

The problem is, when I got the cart the batteries were already about gone, and I saved them as long as I could, but now they are completely gone!!

I have checked all the usual places (even craigslist) and can not find anything!!
gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

patience & persistence.

spring is here. a lot of folks will be hitting the golf courses soon and might feel the need for preventative battery maintenance.
-sj
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car