lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
redberanclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Question 2007 Precident battery light stays on....now what?

Ok I`ll try to give as much info. as I know...I have a 2007 Precident...all stock and the club car charger. I have had it for about 8 months now , bought from a guy that bought it pretty much right off the golf course. It looks like it has the orig.12v batteries.

The battery light use to flash on occasion , but it always went off and the cart always has taken a charge. So now after a good half hour of hard use by my daughter and her friends she brings it back in and tells me it`s running slow... when I try to put it on the charger , it pops the breaker on the front of the charger , and the light stays on constantly ... after a few min. looking around here and doing a search , it looks like it could be one of a few things.
I`m sure the batteries are on borrowed time(and HAVE been!)
They have been kept topped off with dist. water , but I have no clue how to check them any further.

The cart STILL runs...about as good as it has before actually!..but it won`t take a charge.

My question is , what do I do now? re-set the computer...buy new batteries...both...neither...please go easy on me

Thanks in advance!
redberanclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Precident battery light stays on....now what?

there has to be a reason its popping the breaker, could be several things like a weak breaker and the charger trying to overwork so to speak.......start by getting a volt meter and testing each battery.........write all the #,s down and post them, check voltage, test each cell with a hydrometer and load test each one..........you may have to start by replacing the batteries and that may be all but you need to start somewhere, while your at it check the cables if your uncertain replace them...........but get started with the battery issue and go from there...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
there has to be a reason its popping the breaker, could be several things like a weak breaker and the charger trying to overwork so to speak.......start by getting a volt meter and testing each battery.........write all the #,s down and post them, check voltage, test each cell with a hydrometer and load test each one..........you may have to start by replacing the batteries and that may be all but you need to start somewhere, while your at it check the cables if your uncertain replace them...........but get started with the battery issue and go from there...........................
Digital Volt meter.
and just in case distilled water only
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
redberanclubcar
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks guys... do you think it`s even worth messing around with these batteries , seeing how they are soo old?

I`m not opposed to getting new ones , the fact that the charger is popping it`s own breaker is more of a concern.

Would a dead cell cause it ?

All cables seem to be fine , as are are connections.

If I go ahead and check the batteries , I`ll post the results.

...and yes , I have only ever used distilled water...they haven`t taken much since I`ve had it.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well i have no clue what kind of life the 12 volt batteries are getting....what brand? they are over 4 years old and if you have no problems getting new ones than that may be the way to go..........your breaker may quit tripping, if you have a cell thats bone dead i suppose it can trip the breaker.....i would at least test the old ones to see what i have if nothing else a few spares or for accessories or even for sale........................
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
redberanclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Good idea.... Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
redberanclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Well I borrowed a friends load tester tonight , and according to it , two batteries are bad and the other two are weak...

They appear to be orig. Trojans with a Club Car logo on them.

I removed them just to make sure there was no bad wires anywhere , all looks good.

So I guess my next step is to replace the batteries , and see if the charger works.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Nice having friends with tools
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
redberanclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Nice having friends with tools
...yea that`s one of those odd ball things I would not normally ever use or need!...I have plenty of tools as I would consider myself a pretty handy kinda guy...

Got the new batteries in , the cart works great , but the charger is STILL tripping the breaker , so I have another friend who`s an electrician and he`s coming over later to try to help me troubleshoot that problem.

I`m guessing it`s something with the charger working itself too hard with the old batteries , as the cart works fine and there are no visable signs of problems with the wiring.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

it could be just a weak breaker, i have seen that many times..................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car