lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Batteries - Trojan T2 Technology question

Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed. I searched and didn't find anything.

Currently pricing 6 - 8 volts. I was leaning towards Crown but ran across the attached on the Trojan website. They are touting their T2 Technology and claiming the Crown's and US Battery decline much quicker as they are repeatedly charged. Does anyone have an opinion on the validity of the attached chart? FYI.. the pricing I found on the CR-165 Crown's are about $10 less per battery than the T-875's. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan comparison.pdf (410.4 KB, 30 views)
chris1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries - Trojan T2 Technology question

Club Car OEM switched to Crown from Trojan about a year ago.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Doug. I thought I recalled that being the case. I have read good things about Crown and heard that Trojan had slipped. As for OEM switching suppliers, it seems that is often more about price points than quality. I have no idea why Club Car did so but everything these days seems more about cheaper than better. Anyway, as I said, I am leaning towards Crown. I was just wondering if Trojan stepped it up with this technology or if it is just Marketing.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I'm sure there is always a certain amount of "value engineering" that takes place when selecting your battery manufacturers or maybe CC is just keeping them honest, answers we'll never truly know.
IMO, golf carts are pretty low tech items and my belief is that maintenance is more the key to battery longevity than brand.
I was a Trojan guy but changed my cart to Sam's Club Johnson Control Energizers because of my own value engineering.
As far as whether Trojan's T-2 technology is better, I'm sure it is but does it really benefit you?
My analogy is I can buy normal speakers that go to 20KHz or I can buy audiophile speakers that go to 22KHz which is all fine until you figure out you can't hear anything over 13KHz.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When you are engineering make sure you are comparing apples to apples. the CR165 has a smaller AH rating than the T875. The equivalent Crown battery would be the CR190. Which is a very nice 8v battery.

Getting a smaller battery for a given application will definitely effect how well that battery performs over it's lifetime just due to the fact that it will draw down deeper to do the same job as a bigger battery ..... and yes, there are a half a dozen critical engineering factors inside a battery that determine how well it performs. Stuff we can't see, stuff they won't tell us about that will effect how well they hold up. Dirty little production secrets....

I agree your discharge & recharge (cycling) habits greatly effect the useful life of a battery... which is why I think it is important to have the biggest battery possible.
In a 6v I use CR225 It has 2 pounds more lead in it than the T105 and costs a few dollars less...
In an 8v I use the CR190

Hope this helps
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
When you are engineering make sure you are comparing apples to apples. the CR165 has a smaller AH rating than the T875. The equivalent Crown battery would be the CR190. Which is a very nice 8v battery.

Getting a smaller battery for a given application will definitely effect how well that battery performs over it's lifetime just due to the fact that it will draw down deeper to do the same job as a bigger battery ..... and yes, there are a half a dozen critical engineering factors inside a battery that determine how well it performs. Stuff we can't see, stuff they won't tell us about that will effect how well they hold up. Dirty little production secrets....

I agree your discharge & recharge (cycling) habits greatly effect the useful life of a battery... which is why I think it is important to have the biggest battery possible.
In a 6v I use CR225 It has 2 pounds more lead in it than the T105 and costs a few dollars less...
In an 8v I use the CR190

Hope this helps

That's something you always have to watch in ads! Apples to apples. Trojan did slip some and a couple others have taken their top spot. Even my battery dealer will tell you if you ask them that they don't recomend trojan anymore but will be happy to sell you one. They have even had tops pull off brand new trojans just moving them off the pallet.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
KCR
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How does Interstate fit into the mix? Last year we purchased US Battery from our Interstate dealer and now this year I see they have their own battery and a whole new Ad campaign saying their batteries are the best. Is this still the US Battery with a green top? How do they compare with the Trojan/Crown?
KCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to all for their input. I am still wondering if they actually changed anything about their design or manufacturing with this "T2" stuff. It is interesting that they didn't compare to the Crown 190's. I would assume there has to be some truth in advertising and if so, that isn't a good chart on the Crown 165's.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

In my personal opinion, Trojan hasn't gotten worse in quality. They're just as good as they've always been. They simply got a bad reputation due to the 12 Volt batteries Club Car used in their golf cars from 2004-2008. Less cell space, less run time, customer must work twice as hard to stay on top of the battery watering process...... It just created a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth... Their stuff is just as good as it's always been.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks David. I always appreciate and value your opinion.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car