lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
rstov
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 Club Car 48Volt Axle Trouble

The transaxle on the passenger side of my Club Car slipped out. I took the axle apart and it looks like some kind of ring has came loose from somewhere. I thought I fixed this by putting it back together the other day but it slipped out again last night. The teeth on the axle shaft look fine on both the female and male sides. How do I put this axle back together with the knowledge of knowing it won't slide out again? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
rstov is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1998 Club Car 48Volt Axle Trouble

was the C-clip there? not sure how far along you are but you might have to take the whole thing apart......you should be able to get a parts break down here to look at it.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Depending on brand of axle you have as some have retainer ring ( C Clip ) as SHADOWMAN says that hold bearing assembly in place OR bearing is pressed on axle without ring needed? This old a cart could have been changed out with different axle or different brands I think were used during the 1995-1998 period?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Be CAREFUL !!!

A local person was killed when the axle slid out of a Club Car at speed here.

Check the Snap ring and the Snap ring Groove in the axle tube.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstov View Post
The transaxle on the passenger side of my Club Car slipped out. I took the axle apart and it looks like some kind of ring has came loose from somewhere. I thought I fixed this by putting it back together the other day but it slipped out again last night. The teeth on the axle shaft look fine on both the female and male sides. How do I put this axle back together with the knowledge of knowing it won't slide out again? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
if you have a Kawasaki axle then look at www.golfcartpartsdirect.com go to 1997 Gas and Electric, page down to Unitised Transaxle Gasoline part 3 and see part #70 CIRCLIP C type. Although yours is electric the axle set up is the same. This is an internal circlip that fits just inside the rim of the axle against the bearing and keeps the axle in place.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
rstov
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone....I checked the Golfcartpartsdirect website and I didn't even see the C clip when I removed the axle. It is a Kawasaki axle. There was what looked like some kind of metal seal. What are the steps on putting this back together? The bearings look fine as well as everything else. Should I just order the C-Clip and put that on? If so what order are assembled? I'm kind of a newbie.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Go by picture on site for assembly as it shows parts in order of replacing.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstov View Post
Thanks everyone....I checked the Golfcartpartsdirect website and I didn't even see the C clip when I removed the axle. It is a Kawasaki axle. There was what looked like some kind of metal seal. What are the steps on putting this back together? The bearings look fine as well as everything else. Should I just order the C-Clip and put that on? If so what order are assembled? I'm kind of a newbie.
If the bearing is still attached to the axle you merely slide the axle it into the side shaft tube and insert the internal circlip. You will need to get hold of a 90 degree internal circlip pliers to instal the clip.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Golfdog
Gone Wild

If your axle came out when you were driving there is a chance you may have damaged the axle shaft oil seal. It is a press fit inside the tube.The bearing is a sealed unit so it sits outside of the oil seal.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
rstov
Not Yet Wild

Yes Golfdog...I think you're right on the oil seal. It did come out while I was driving. I checked the C-clip and bearing and everything appears to be fine. When I pulled the tube off I did find a smooth metal seal that came off and when I tried to put back together I was leaking oil from the brakes. How do I replace the axle shaft oil seal? You say it is press fit. I think that is the problem. I found a new axle w/o gearbox for $150 with brakes and everything but I really don't want to buy it if I don't have to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car