lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 club car needs TLC

I have acquired a 1994 club car 36v with I think the vglide accelorator. When I picked it up it had not been used in a year. Batteries were shot so I put in 6 new 6v deka GC10 batteries. Ran the batteries down and tried to charge them....Charger did not work so I used a neighbor's. His started the charge but it never shut off after 12hrs of charging the new batteries. (a bit of boiling was noticed as well.) The neighbors battery charger apparently shuts off on his so I figured it should on mine. I unhooked the charger and began checking the wiring for mistakes. I can't enlarge you site's wiring diagrams to read them for some reason so I could use some help with that as well....

The batteries I'm sure are over charged at about 7.5v each. Any pointers on where to start?

Hello everyone...(Forgot to start out by saying hi and thanks in advance.)
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 club car needs TLC

Welcome Jackman...........................

Someone will be with you shortly................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome. Search the site and read everything you can find about battery care and proper usage. It is a big investment......treat them right.
Basically each cell of you battery is capable of 2.5 volts x 3 = 7.5 volts.
At 6.0 volts the battery is empty. Do not discharge below or charge above these marks for extended battery life. Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
I believe the batteries are hooked up correctly and charged to the correct level as indicated by your post. Now I have no forward or reverse. I checked the voltage across the solenoid and its 38v when the pedal is depressed and the switch is in forward or reverse. So I'm guessing the switch and the solenoid are good. What should I look for next? I'm hoping the motor didn't die on me. It was working so well before I charged.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Well...I spoke to the local cart shop and the guy told me to get 6guage wire and jump the two middle terminals on the motor momentarily and if the cart moves the motor is fine. I did this while in fwd and the key turned and with accelorator down and no movement. Bad motor?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Well its fixed. Just a bad switch and a losse ground. It runs better but I think I may have to switch at some point to a 48v motor with 8v batteries. I think the 36 volt setup doesn't give me enough capacity(distance). Seems like I barely get somewhere and my batteries need charged. (They are only 1 week old)

By the way, these club car chargers....do they always hum loud when they charge or is there something wrong with it? Just curious.

Thanks!

Jack
Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
By the way, these club car chargers....do they always hum loud when they charge or is there something wrong with it? Just curious.

Thanks!

Jack
They don't always makes lots of noise, but when they do it's usually not a problem.

The reason they make noise is because of the loose plates in the transformer. However it does not affect the charging. It's just an annoyance.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Well its fixed. Just a bad switch and a losse ground. It runs better but I think I may have to switch at some point to a 48v motor with 8v batteries. I think the 36 volt setup doesn't give me enough capacity(distance). Seems like I barely get somewhere and my batteries need charged. (They are only 1 week old)

Thanks!

Jack
How far is somewhere? Flat ground?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Jackman
Not Yet Wild

Its all flat here in Delaware. The hills that are here are not big.....just a slight increase in grade, not even a hill. We attempted to goto the beach in one of our community's developments. Its just over 2.5 miles of travel on flat ground one way. (There are cart paths to follow ect) I see in previous posts that 5 to 5.5 miles is about the limit for this setup?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A healthy golf cart should go about 20 miles on a single charge..Of course less for inclines and hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car