lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie 87 DS No Reverse

Howdy folks. Just found this site and have been doing some lurking. I've already learned a lot. I was given this cart and have replaced the batteries and bought a charger. Forward works fine, and all 5 solenoids click, but I've got no reverse.
Is there a test procedure for troubleshooting the F/R switch? Could it be lack of continuity to the reverse pole? Could I disassemble the switch and try to clean the buss bar? Also, there appears to be an aftermarket charge gauge which is hard wired. (The charge indicator light stays on even w/ key off) Is this correctly wired, and if so, will that little light drain too much current when the cart is not in use? Sorry for long 1st post and thanks in advance for anyone who can help. Matt
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie 87 DS No Reverse

Welcome to bgw. Your problem could be as simple as a failed reverse micro switch, check to see the switch is properly activated and working in reverse as well as forward. If it is check the cables at the bottom lugs of the F&R. one on the passenger side supplies power for forward and the one on the drivers side (these are on the bottom of the switch) supplies power for the reverse circuit.
There is no adjustment in the CC F&R. Replacement is a good option if is worn beyond serviceable limits.
With the key on, select reverse, slightly depress the peddle... do you hear the solenoids click? If yes wiggle or move the switch lever.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply ScottyB. Micro on F/R appears to be working at both positions. All 5 solenoids click as you depress the pedal in forward and reverse. This cart sat in a barn for a few years, so it might be a bit corroded. I did take a small square of sandpaper and tried to clean the buss bar a little, but did not remove or disassemble the F/R. No help. Is there a test procedure to check the F/R switch? I did pull, twist and jiggle the switch while in reverse w/ pedal depressed. No help.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

keep in mind even a clicking solenoid can be bad so its the last solenoid the one on pass. side for reverse.....you can try cleaning the buss bar and maybe just swapping a solenoid to see if reverse will work.................also check all the wires make sure you don,t have a wire broke or a bad cable end....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Shadowman. Is there a method to jump that solenoid to see it it's the problem? If so, which posts on the solenoid need to be jumpered? Can it be small gauge wire w/ alligator clips?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think this system runs the same controls in F&R with the exception of the F&R rotary switch.

You might try swapping the 2 leads on the center rotary part of the switch... and see if you have only reverse now no forward? Then I think it would be safe to say you need a new F&R.

What do you think, Shadowman?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think this system runs the same controls in F&R with the exception of the F&R rotary switch.

You might try swapping the 2 leads on the center rotary part of the switch... and see if you have only reverse now no forward? Then I think it would be safe to say you need a new F&R.

CAUTION: You will have full speed reverse when testing the switch this way . . . check behind you . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
CAUTION: You will have full speed reverse when testing the switch this way . . . check behind you . .
he he...

Actually all drive system testing should be done on jack stands so the cart doesn't unexpectedly GO! We just fail to put the disclaimer in every thread ~ Oops!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Thanks gentlemen. I'll give that a try in a little while and report back. All the help is much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

scotty i agree i just wanted to point out that even a clicking solenoid can be bad.......you know me........the last one effects reverse so if f&r is ok it would have to be back there somewhere..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car