lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
hunterbill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Newbee with 79 Marathon gas 3 wheel needs help!!

Hi folks, been watching this site quite extensively since last friday when I bought a 79 Marathon 3-wheel gas cart that didn't run. After getting it home and checking it out I noticed it needed a solenoid so I got one for a plow at an auto parts store. I traced all the wires and printed a diagram out and all seems fine. When I try to start it the solenoid clicks and I get 12 volts with my meter all the way to the f/r switch. There I get 12 volts at all terminals, then I get 9 volts at the coil. Engine isn't turning over. How can I be sure whether it is or isn't the starter (which I know is internal and not available anymore)? Bill
hunterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbee with 79 Marathon gas 3 wheel needs help!!

Welcome Bill, Sorry I cant help here much but hang loose and fastercart or one of the other guys will jump in soon.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome! I would double check all of your grounds. Make sure they are grounded to bare metal. I have 79 and just got done with the same problem. I smoked a solenoid .trying to find the problem and that's what is was. Hope this helps.
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
hunterbill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I will double check the grounds again. I understand the age and all, but any idea what kind of chance I may have that it isn't the starter/generator? Is there any way of testing the starter while in the cart? This is my first cart and I hate to see it end just because of a starter. Reading the posts and looking at the awsome pics on this site has started something in me that I don't think my wallet can handle but willing to give it a shot. Thanks again. BILL
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Standby Bill And WELCOME to BGWI'm sure DAVE BOX can tell you how to check the starter/generator be advised you can still get a brush kit if needed to repair the starter if it's not fried. In most cases simply replacing worn out brushes can get you going again but it may not be your problem at all.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
hunterbill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, am willing to listen to all suggestions. getting ready now to go out and check the grounds. Frosty morning here in NW Pennsylvania. Sun is almost on the cart. Will see how it goes. I will be checking here often. Thanks BILL
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
hunterbill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, checked all the grounds. Jacked up the rear, took the belt off and now have it that when I push the pedal the starter tries to roll the engine over. turns the engine only a little ways then hums. Still would like to test the starter though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks BILL
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So you are making progress, that's cool. Before you got the engine to turn a little I was going to suggest that you rotated the engine by hand just to make sure that it isn't locked up and it might still be worth doing that to ensure that the engine isn't tight.

Is your battery up to it? If not then that might be your problem. If it is then it is real easy to test the starter winding. Just disconnect the battery and put the forward reverse lever in the upright position. With an ohm meter measure between B and D on the forward reverse switch and turn the engine by hand until it has made a complete revolution. Anything other than a constant zero ohms means that your world has taken a turn for the worse.

As you are aware many of the parts for the pre 1980 engine are no longer available however this does not preclude a competent shop being able to repair your starter, if necessary. Also the brushes are still available so if you enjoy tinkering with this stuff you might like to pull the engine and get in there which you will need to do to check the brushes. That said the 79 flywheel will require you to make some special bolts or buy the correct tool to remove the flywheel. This leads you to the question of how much do you want to invest in this project? The worst case scenario is that you get the engine turning over, then you make a compression test and find it is well below normal standards so you fit the top end kit only to find the crankshaft, which is irreplaceable, fails. It is a tough call. On the bright side these are tough little engines so maybe you can get a year or two of fun out of it.

Anyway the first step is to see if you have continuity on the starter and to see if you can get the thing spinning. After that we can check the compression and find out why you only have 9 volts on the coil.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
hunterbill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Dave, glad you got into this for me. I have rotated the engine by hand several times though it was hard. The battery is at full charge and I also have a booster that I can put on it if necessary. I will test between B and D tonight. I do like tinkering with this kind of stuff so I may try it if needed. If you can describe the bolts I will make them if I need them. Thanks BILL
Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Bill, a couple of extra things, while trying to crank the engine it would good to remove the spark plug to lessen the strain on the starter and battery. With regards to the bolts, the 1980 + flywheels were flat and just needed a two arm steering wheel puller. The pre 80 had a chamfer with the bolt holes at an angle. This meant that you needed the EZGO tool. I have not done this but I think if you worked out the angle you could use two long M6 bolts, bend them in a vice and then use a regular puller. This will probably make sense once you examine the flywheel.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO