lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 97 Club Car project – need electrical advice

I have a project that I am into and need some help deciding what to do next. It is a ’97, 48V Club Car and I believe that it is the ill-fated generation 1 sepex system. Cart serial number A9726-581061, GE motor controller number EV4L48XB2. I am not afraid of digging in electrically but I need some help from all of you first.

The cart does not function and I am interested in electrically troubleshooting this but the wiring diagram at the link below does not describe the cart I have accurately since it has the “T” shaped GE controller.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...lt-wiring.html

First Question: Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the gen 1 system I using? And if so do you have the input/output connections and voltages at the pins of the motor controller since this component is suspect.
As I understand it the gen 1 system and controller are not reliable and if I spend any money on it I should replace the entire system. It is a project cart for the neighborhood so I don’t want to spend too much on it. Especially if I am not sure exactly what is wrong with it.

Second Question: What are the budget options for getting this thing running again if the motor controller is the problem?

I would appreciate any info anyone has for what my options are.
MichEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Club Car project – need electrical advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichEE View Post

First Question:
Download this to your computer and see if one of the several diagrams here is any help:

97 Club Car Individual Parts List
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Download this to your computer and see if one of the several diagrams here is any help:

97 Club Car Individual Parts List
Sweet! Thanks Stevegrmich!! p. 142, section 12 E was what I was looking for!!

It would be nice if that "service" manual contained a schematic too but I'll draw that up with my voltages and post it when I get this thing running.

Any takers on the rest of my questions?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

ok, so I have voltage (~45V) to the main contactor coil from the key switch but no voltage across the main or propel contactor coils. So another question for you really smart people.

QUESTION 3: What can I do to bypass the Onboard Computer?
I have 0V to B- on the green wire from the OBC and +45V to B- on the yellow wire. Can I just jumper these two wire together to bypass the OBC?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

GOT IT GOING!! The main contactor was fine but the motor controller was not pulling it low to B- so I followed the procedure below and POP! Something sparked!! I selected my choice adjective and tore apart the circuit board. There was a small clip lead from one of the resistors on the board that was near the black area on the board. It was shorted to one of the FETs on the board. I clipped it off, prayed and turned it back on and BINGO it works! I need to put the board back together and then find a reliable method to eliminate the stupid computer but it should be good to go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test Procedure 13 - On-board Computer By-pass
If test procedures 1 through 12 show proper operation (no malfunction), but the solenoid will not actuate,
then the problem may be in the on-board computer solenoid lock-out circuit. By-pass the computer and test
the solenoid as follows:
1. Turn the key switch to OFF and place the forward and reverse switch in NEUTRAL. Leave the batteries
connected and leave the Z plug connected to the controller.
2. Locate the yellow wire at the Z12 position on the Z plug. Unplug the bullet connector in the yellow wire
approximately three inches (7.6 cm) from the Z plug.
3. Connect an 18 gauge jumper wire to the female bullet connector on the end of the yellow wire coming
from the Z plug. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the negative (-) post of battery No. 6 (Figure
21-34).
4. Turn the key switch to ON. If the solenoid clicks, test the OBC and OBC fuses. If the solenoid does not
click, test the Z4 blue/white wire and the controller.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . nice when these little buggers decide to run . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . nice when these little buggers decide to run . . .
For SURE! Thanks for the help!!

Anyone have a good suggestion for eliminating the computer for GOOD?? Other than just the "test" bypass??
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

why eliminate OBC? when they are working they can,t be beat as far as maintaining batteries and it cost about 2X what an OBC cost if you have to replace it, but if you have the 97 with the black T shaped controller since you now have it running you,ll be further ahead of the game to sell the cart................just an opinion...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK, thanks for the input. So you suggest to get rid of it before it ends up costing me more when something else quits working? Kinda like the fact that it is an oddball but not sure I want to spend money on something that is not worth it.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that cart was only made for 2 years i beleive and it seems when things go wrong its never strait forward..........when they run they are great but its when they don,t that you,ll end up pulling your hair out................like i said just an opinion but after being around them for years and owning one myself ......never again.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car