lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Back at it after backfiring problem...

Hey all, it's been awhile since I worked on the cart. Here is my old thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ackfiring+carb

After a long break, got back at it, removed cam, specs out OK. Adjusted Pulsar Coil gap, backfire is almost gone.

I am still running on one cylinder, spark looks good, I've done the HEI mod with good ground, and replaced all electrical components.

Valves are at .004, compression is good, will not run until 1 plug wire is removed. Really stumped here....
joejax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Back at it after backfiring problem...

joe, did you swap wires on hei from pulsar ? Did you install new spark plug wires when you changed coil? When you lift one spark plug wire and runs better, that tells me the coil is putting all energy into the one plug ,so it runs better. Sounds like your coil is weak not supplying two blue sparks of energy when they both fire. What color are plugs after running for 5 minutes
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks jeff, yeah, new wires modded from Orielly's, new OEM coil, spark looks as good as it ever did, plugs are wet after ahile. Messed around today, can't get it to fire with both plug wires on.

Thinking maybe this new coil is bad, still unsure what aftermarket coil to get with the HEI setup. Headed to the parts house to get even newer plugs and maybe a coil
Old 05-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well...been hard at it today. Went and got a new coil, wires and plugs. Rewired from PC, Solenoid, to HEI device. Seemed like it was gonna go.

Way down on power, getting really hot on motor. In nuetral it will start to fire OK, keep the revs going starts to sputter like its not getting gas or there is an intermittent electrical issue.

At the end of my ropes here, hate to have to pull this motor again, but I'm running out of ideas. I've got good fuel flow, good spark, etc etc, why won't this thing run?

Now I'm wondering if I should have just gone back with all OEM electrcals...
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
jeffrun
Gone Wild

joe, some hei just havent worked on some carts. Do you have a timing mark for tdc on a cylinder. in firing position, or mark one. connect a timing light and check to see if your timing is close. Some hei shift the timing bunches. You might reinstall your ignitor back,removing hei.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks jeff, went back out after last post, checked compression again while motor was hot, seems a little low;100 and 120, if my gauge is right.

I can shoot some oil in the plug hole and it seemed a lot better running. I think I'm looking at pulling this motor again and replacing the rings at the least.

I'm really confused about the timing issue, everything lined up good, I kept leaning towards a valve or cam issue, or a carb problem.

Trying to calm back down here and just think of the simplest thing...http://youtu.be/G-tCIRJH9p0
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Back at it today after a short break, swapping wires around and checking spark.

Smoking like a wild banshee, gonna get new rings and valve stem seals and hope for the best.

Time to pull this motor....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO