lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

Default Fuel issue

I have an 87 Marathon 244cc gas cart. I got it running an it idles fine but when i step on the gas it moves but very slowly and it seems as though its not getting fuel properly. Whoever had it before me put new clear fuel lines in it and you can see the gas moving but there are a lot of air bubbles in the line. Has the pump lost its prime? I'm not sure where to go with it.

Thanks!
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel issue

Hello Crafty and welcome to the forum. The answer to your question is maybe, the pump is not self priming however it is unusual for the pump to loose its prime unless you ran it out of gas.
It is somewhat common for the pick up line in the tank to develop a leak and start sucking air. So, is there a clear line betwixt the tank and the pump? If so do you see air bubbles there? If you do then the chances are the leak is where the down pipe in the tank joins the elbow on top of the tank. If you remove the fuel line you can unscrew the elbow and inspect it.
If you do not have clear line between the tank and the pump then you can reprime the pump and if air bubbles do reappear then you do have an air leak.
Remove the line into the carburetor and point it into a jar. If you have a compressor remove the filler cap, seal the orifice with a shop rag and squirt air into the tank until a steady stream of fuel appears. You can obtain the same effect by wrapping a shop rag around the filler to make a seal and then blow until you see clear fuel. Now reattach the fuel line and see what happens.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your insight, it is a clear line and yes i see air bubbles. I bought a new fuel line and clamps today. I noticed some of the connections didn't have clamps so it could be sucking in air. I will try your suggestion and let you know how i fare out.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

Checked everything, got the air bubbles out of the line. It is running smooth but no speed to it. It just drives around at 1 low speed. Any suggestions? I replaced the drive belt with the proper size one. 1 3/16" x 45"
Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

They were never designed to go over 12 mph but I presume that you are not even getting that so........

I would first look at the governor and make sure it is not clamping down the throttle. You should be able to find a cable that runs from a lever near the driven clutch right around the cart to the throttle lever. If it is there (a lot of folks remove it) then for now just undo the retaining clamp and free it up. If you want to later we can reinstall and adjust it.

Now jack up the rear end, start her up and observe that action of the clutches. The drive clutch should start wide open and as you gently rev it up, smoothly close right up. The driven clutch should do exactly the opposite.

Check that out, report back and we can delve deeper.

Dave
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

I would put it at 2 or 3mph, if that. The govenor was removed prior to me buying it. The drive clutch doesn't seem to be closing. It moves slightly, enough to get me moving but thats it. Now, before i installed the new drive belt, i put a new muffler on as well and when i started it to see if there were any exhaust leaks, i noticed the drive clutch closing fully and then releasing when i let off the gas. Doesn't seem to do that after i put new belt on.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Clearly your clutch is doing the equivalent of holding you in first gear. Most, if not all, drive clutches are not repairable indeed the EZGO manual states that as clutches are balanced to 5000 rpm they must be replaced rather than repaired. Of course that does not stop you from having a go.
I would first look to see what happens if you remove the belt and gently rev the engine. If the cover is removable, if it is you may be able to look at the spring weights to see if there is anything obvious. If you can find anywhere to lube it you are not going to make matters worse other than that it looks like a new clutch is in your future.

Dave
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave! Like i said it was moving at one point, just not anymore. I will see if i can open it up, lube everything i can. Use a hammer if i have to. Worse comes to worse, i will order a new one!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Crafty
Not Yet Wild

I did notice when it was engaging though, when i let off the gas pedal, the clutch kinda popped like it was sticking a bit. Maybe thats how they are supposed to be, just thought i'd throw that in.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The operation should be smooth and silent. Popping is another indication of an issue. If you can get the cover off and squeeze the sheaves together you might find a little rust on the shaft. Some steel wool and WD40 maybe all you need.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO