lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
towpro
Getting Wild

Default 88 workhorse wiring problems

bought an 88 workhorse or what i believe to be an 88 lol ( manufacturer code is 88M02)from a guy, and the wiring is all cut, spliced an messed up, can anyone provide a wiring schematic for this particular cart, ive looked around a bit and find them for other yrs and makes but not for this one. the cart runs but its just goofy, it pedal starts but goes right to WOT and when u let off the gas and then put the pedal down again i hear a popping noise. also sometimes backfires through the muffler. i believe that the ignition is wired wrong so that when u let off the pedal it kills power to the coil, then when u hit the pedal again it gives it spark and ignites the fuel in the cylinder making it pop. the pedal is very touchy, hit a bump or slightly let off and it cycles the motor on an off, any suggestions ? hope this made sense lol thanks !
towpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 workhorse wiring problems

Here's the diagram I followed when I rewired MY 1988 Marathon (your date code shows 1988, you're correct)

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is the best diagram out here I just wired a 88 and it is exactly like you see above. Follow it with a highlighter wire for wire and you cant go wrong.
mikeevans860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Your throttle linkage clearly needs adjusting but it is correct that when you let off the throttle the 12 is removed from the coil and the engine dies.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Here's one that I colored.I wired my marathon with it and it works fine.Double check with the original though.I haven't gotten an answer on verification.

Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hey Heliarc, You mind if I copy that diagram and file it with the "stash" so I can share it with others who may need it - that's REALLY handy with the actual colors, nice job !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
towpro
Getting Wild

excellent diagram ! when i go out to the shop tomorrow i will start chasing it down, i adjusted the throttle today and got that much of it figured out, only thing now is that it still pops, out the muffler i think, not a loud bang, but a pop each time you give it gas from closed throttle. i installed the throttle spring and made sure that it was closed when the pedal switch activates. could it be the muffler its self ? i dont have any exhaust leaks that i could find, and the crank seals check out ok with starting fluid.
towpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Hey Heliarc, You mind if I copy that diagram and file it with the "stash" so I can share it with others who may need it - that's REALLY handy with the actual colors, nice job !!!
Oh yea man.Just make sure everything is right first.I'm pretty sure it is, but it can't hurt to have a second opinion.But really, I'd feel great if I could contribute so please do share it.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I just wonder if it's possible that the choke is sticking or something like that.I remember as a kid driving a Rabbit with a carb on it, I'd go down hills, shut off the key, hold the gas down, turn the key back on and *KABLAM*.This was incredibly fun until I blew my exhaust to pieces...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That diagram is awesome!
rjc799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO