lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 martahon dead after exhaust remove/installation

Some time ago I bought a couple of cheap axle stands which are ideal for cart use. I just jack up the rear end on the axle until the stands will slip under and then let it down. If it doesn't lift exactly vertical it really doesn't matter as the stands ensure a stable and safe platform.

I am not sure of the service interval for the differential. I am guessing that like an automobile it is never. That said I changed my oil when I restored the cart and you might like to as well. Walmart gear oil SAE 80 / 90 will work well. Here is a nice post on how to do it.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...a-rearend.html

Back when I was a boy, many decades ago, the conventional wisdom was to pump new grease into a zerk fitting until you saw clean grease coming out. These days swivel joints generally have rubber boots so you have to be a little careful. I like to give each fitting three pumps and that works for me. There should be seven under the cart and one inside on the steering box. If I am wrong on the number of pumps someone will bail me out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Also of note could be your throttle cable adjustment (or lack thereof) - adjusting these is a matter of using your eyes AND your ears, you want to adjust the cable stop so there is NO travel of the carb arm until just after you hear the *click* of the throttle microswitch ... Any more and you'll be dumping fuel into the engine before your ignition kicks on, meaning you'll take off like crazy and have no low or mid-throttle control, it'll be "all or nothing" ... Again, depress the pedal until you hear the *click* - only AFTER that point should your carb arm be moving at all.

While you're at it - make sure you have a spring (as shown in the handy photo below) between the carb arm and cable stop, it helps close the throttle fully when coasting and eliminated the inevitable backfiring issue you'll have without it ...

As to the jacking, I do it at the pumpkin and use jack stands under the frame (OK, who am I trying to kid, concrete blocks and 2X6's, whatever I'm sure you get the point, LOL) AAAAAND speaking of the pumpkin, YES it's full of gear oil, there should be a plug on the left side rear, pull the plug, suck the old stuff out (a squeezie bottle and aquarium tubing takes forever but DOES work, trust me) and then refill it to the hole, replace plug, done. I'm not sure what the service interval is on the fluid, but if the cart is new to you that's a good time to assume it was OLD to someone else and now is a GREAT time to catch up on any needed maintainance :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks guys
sdg8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so far so good. The knee should heal I dislocate the knee cap so all is good. Couple more questions. How tight should the clutch belt be? Mine is really loose. 2. I would like to do a full body wrap on the cart and I'd like to remove the rubber trim around the body. is this possible? Its riveted so I guess I would have to drill them out which is no big deal but will the trim go back on tight like it is from factory? Any tricks associated with it?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good news on the knee I hope that resolves well for you.
Within reason, the length of the belt is not that important. It should be 45 inches and if you are concerned you can just measure it with a 12 rule using pencil marks until you complete the circumference. What is far more important is the width. The belt is only gripped on the edges which tend to wear and then you lose drive. If the belt is 1 1/16th or less wide it is toast.
I did the body wrap thing and was very pleased with the result, it sure does hide a multitude of sins. I drilled out the rivets and then simply peeled the trim off. Re-installation was not as difficult as you might think. The toughest part is the long piece that goes from side to side and around the front. I used a bucket of hot soapy water to soften and lube the rubber and then fixed the start point with a stainless screw. Then I hooked the trim on the underside and just twisted and snapped and so on. At the end I used another stainless and we were done. It does need to be pulled tight as this tension holds it around the corners. It is not hard but it takes time and patience and sore fingers. If you go to my blog below the first page shows what I did.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That soapy water thing is a good idea, Dave - I used a heat gun *carefully* to do the same thing but it would have likely been a bit easier with some "slip" - the stainless screw idea I also second, as it's been holding for me for 2 years now.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave that sounds like solid advise. By the way the wrap makes Little F*^ker look great. hahahahahaha Im thinking of using a 3D carbon fiber vinyl to wrap her along with some graphics over top to break up the look. I found some for around $30 48 x 60 in so I should be able to do it with 2 sheets. Im going to put a seat on the back with a width of 12.5" then using the existing front seat back rest mount Im going to add a back rest. Since Im going to tow my 33 ft camper with the cart in the bed I can not have her hanging to far out the bed and I need a foot rest for the kids I came up with the following. Im going to bend 1.5in sch 40 pipe to fit tight along the bottom of the cart with 2ea 14in legs attached with holes drilled so they fit inside of 2in pipe welded to the bottom of the bag rest. This will allow me to pull the bumper out and pin it in place using it as a foot rest then the bumper can be pushed back tight against the cart for towing. I think this is going to work out perfect.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just checked the drive belt and its 1" on the mark so I guess its shot time for a new one
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO