lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
GC_Customizer
Not Yet Wild

Default What is it?

What is the piece at the end of the flywheel area on the forward facing part of the engine, it appears to be cable operated but on this '84 marathon, there is nothing connected to it.
GC_Customizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is it?

That's probably your oil mixture pump.Is there a hose going from it to the intake?There might be a tank next to your F/R switch as well.That tank is what holds two cycle oil for the mixer.Most people ignore that pump and premix the fuel at 125:1.I go 100:1 just because I like to see some smoke.Post a picture so we can make sure.And you probably don't want to run it until you know you won't burn the engine up unless you're already premixing.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
GC_Customizer
Not Yet Wild

It's not the premixer, the oil tank and tubing is all there. It spins about 1/2 way and is cable operated. The cart runs fine without any cable hooked up there, it looks/acts like a throttle opener though. I've borrowed a picture off the web to give you guys a general area of where it is.

The cart can't keep up with newer marathon that has an extra 200lbs of accessories on it. It speeds up quick and then hits a wall. The Throttle opens all the way and the other limiter cable is non-functional.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok, the area you have circled is where the premixer used to be on that particular engine.I have mine removed as well.The little slot cut in the end of the crankshaft is what runs the mixer.The two screw holes above and below it are what holds it to the flywheel cover.The only other thing that is cable operated besides choke and throttle is the governor.But again, the area you have circled is where the mixer would normally be.So if it isn't operating anymore, I hope you're mixing your fuel.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The mix ratio is 128:1. 1oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
GC_Customizer
Not Yet Wild

It's possibly part of the oil mixer but what is the cable operated part? The part where the cable attaches to, it can spin 180* and then spring back. This is a customers cart so I have no idea if it has been premixed or not.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The cable actuates the oiler, generally it is attached at the carb arm if I recall correctly (been a long time since I saw one actually hooked up and working) - there is also a line going to the oil tank, and another that goes to the intake elbow (banjo bolt connection at the top of the elbow, in the pic below you'll see a long bolt sticking up out of MY intake, that's where the banjo fitting used to attach)

At this point, if that hole still has a banjo fitting and oil line hooked to it, I would heartily suggest pulling the fitting, installing a 6mm metric bolt in the hole, drain the fuel tank and refill it with premix at a 128:1 ratio (one ounce per gallon) - the rest of the system (tank, lines, pump, etc) may be left where they are or better yet just remove and discard them - that part is purely a matter of your taste, it just cleans up the look to pull them and as long as they're no longer being used, why NOT just get them out of the way? If the intake is already plugged with no oil line to it, then the oiler already HAS been disconnected, in which case the cart has already been converted to run on 128:1 premix, and again, why not just clear the clutter and pull the rest of it ...

Removing / disabling these oilers is common, and actually heartily suggested as they were problematic to begin with, and after 20+ years aren't a RISK for failure, but more of a ticking time bomb of death. Better to spend 5 minutes pulling the archaic oiler system and resigning yourself to premixing fuel NOW, other than waiting for the oiler to fail, rebuilding the entire engine when it does, and then having to resign yourself to mixing gas anyway.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

And it *just* hit me, I need a better pic of my carb, jeez you'd think I never gave my cart a bath, hahahahahaha
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
GC_Customizer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks brewcity, the lines and everything are still attached, there's just no cable going from the arm to the oiler. The customer didn't even know it was a two stroke so I'll have to reeducate her.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

yeah, reeducation is in order STAT - without the cable, I'm pretty sure the oiler isn't working at ALL ... If it were me, I'd pull everything, plug the hole in the intake, and just explain to her that from now on she has to add 1oz of 2-stroke oil to each gallon of gas she puts in there, simple, easy, done :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO