lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 8v Battery Question

Does anyone know if going with the 8-6v has any negative effect on speed? I have read on a couple other forums that some people thought it would.
Simpleman: Have you seen one converted to the 8-6v? Where did they put the other 2 batteries? I use my cart for golfing as well, so the bagwell area is out of the question.
Thanks
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Speed is a product of voltage. 48v is 48v no matter how you arrive at it. Torque is a product of amperage consumed. If the amperage supply can not meet the amperage demand then the torque will not be there to 'say' roll the tires as fast as expected.

Basically I would say answer no to your question. Healthy correctly sized 8v or 12vs will not effect your top speed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

I converted mine using the CC conversion kit. I am very pleased with the outcome. It looks like it was manufacture a 8v system. As far as speed, I did loose a couple of MPH after the conversion. But, my cart had lighter marine batteries. The 6 Trojan 875s added over 200 pounds of weight. I feel that is the reason for the loss of speed. I think it is a good tradeoff for longer run times and battery life.

I paid $700 out the door for my 6 Trojan 875s. Got them from a local guy who builds carts.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
credits00
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
If you are a little handy, you could put in eight 6V batteries! This would give you the maximum run time of any combination! A bit more expensive, but whether it's worth it would be up to you!
In addition to longer run time, would the extra amps of 8-6v batts also give you more torque? Also, will your stock 48v charger still work no matter what # of batts you have (4-12v, 6-8v, 8-6v)?
credits00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by credits00 View Post
In addition to longer run time, would the extra amps of 8-6v batts also give you more torque? I'm not sure, someone else would know..... Also, will your stock 48v charger still work no matter what # of batts you have (4-12v, 6-8v, 8-6v)?As long as the total battery "Pack" is the same voltage ( 48 ) it should charge it.
Good luck!
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #16
credits00
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Urban.
I was looking at the chart speedchaser posted and thinking about what scottyb said about amps and torque. I've never heard of anyone putting in 8-6v batts before. My 6 T-860s seem to be fine right now, but they're 7 yrs old. Would like to know if I would have to get a higher torque motor to take advantage of any extra amps that an 8-6v setup would give.
credits00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

If you compared a new set of the bats you currently have to t890's you would probably not realize any difference, the benefit from the 890's will be extended run time. The other benefit would be that the batteries should have a longer lifespan. And you do not need to upgrade anything else, of course its always rewarding to do so.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by credits00 View Post
Thanks for the reply Urban.
I was looking at the chart speedchaser posted and thinking about what scottyb said about amps and torque. I've never heard of anyone putting in 8-6v batts before. My 6 T-860s seem to be fine right now, but they're 7 yrs old. Would like to know if I would have to get a higher torque motor to take advantage of any extra amps that an 8-6v setup would give.
Your 7 yr old batteries are likely very near the end of their useful life. A larger capacity battery is always a better choice if you can swing it. You can get higher torque or higher speed aftermarket motors. Other upgrades may be needed to (controller, solenoid, F&R, cables) allow the new motor to draw additional amperage to reach it's performance potential.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinds6 View Post
Does anyone know if going with the 8-6v has any negative effect on speed? I have read on a couple other forums that some people thought it would.
Simpleman: Have you seen one converted to the 8-6v? Where did they put the other 2 batteries? I use my cart for golfing as well, so the bagwell area is out of the question.
Thanks
Simply carrying the 2 extra 6v batteries will add about 130 pounds to the cart including cable. So yeah, it's like having a passenger in the cart all the time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car