lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
ytinky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: epsom salt with battery formulla

just remove eloctrolyte from each cell with a turkey baster till you see the tops of the cells!
ytinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
ytinky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I turkey basted the electrolyte down to the top of the cells. I then refilled to full with this formula. one tablespoon of epsom salts to one ounce of distilled water. The mixture has to be brought to a boil or close to it, to make sure the salts are disolved. Let cool and then fill your cells. My whole process used about 1 1/2 gallon of distilled water and over one pound of epsom salts. all items were purchased at local dollar store. I run this cart every day, and charge it everynite. I am now getting 3 to 5 miles,good speed and gaining more time every day. I definately believe that the Epsom salts remedy works. It was worth a try for me. Sorry the others did not get the same results.good luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytinky View Post
just remove eloctrolyte from each cell with a turkey baster till you see the tops of the cells!
Welcome to BGW ytinky.please update us on this in another month.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytinky View Post
I turkey basted the electrolyte down to the top of the cells. I then refilled to full with this formula. one tablespoon of epsom salts to one ounce of distilled water. The mixture has to be brought to a boil or close to it, to make sure the salts are disolved. Let cool and then fill your cells. My whole process used about 1 1/2 gallon of distilled water and over one pound of epsom salts. all items were purchased at local dollar store. I run this cart every day, and charge it everynite. I am now getting 3 to 5 miles,good speed and gaining more time every day. I definately believe that the Epsom salts remedy works. It was worth a try for me. Sorry the others did not get the same results.good luck.
Welcome to BGW ytinky.please update us on this in another month.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I'm getting dizzy.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some people have some luck with this but it is not a long term solution. The people that reported performance improvement also reported the improvement diminished a few months later. Which is why we do not recommend this process. In the end they all bought new batteries.
Keep us posted. And welcome to BGW
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I'm getting dizzy.....
You chasin the baster too?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
You chasin the baster too?
I knew it was called SOMETHING!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Lets analyze this a bit.

ytinky bought a 96 cart with 10 year old batteries in it, charged it overnight and it would only go about 1/2 mile before slowing to a crawl.

He said he added about 1.5 gallons of the Epsom Salts solution, so he had to remove a near equal amount of electrolyte to fit it in.
A T-105 battery holds about 2 gallons of electrolyte, or about 12 Gallons for a 36V battery pack.
Therefore about 12.5% of the active chemicals that make a lead-acid battery a battery, was removed.
(That act alone would reduce a healthy 225AH T-105 battery to a 197AH battery.)
Then the batteries were recharged every night and now he is getting 3-5 miles before the cart slows to a crawl and the performance is improving as more time passes and batteries are recharged every night.

Over a two month period of time in the fall of 2011, I managed to improve the storage capacity on a 36v set of T-105 batteries date coded L8 from 85% to 95% by repeatedly recharging them whether the cart had been used or not. Over that winter they improved some more because I had them on float charge when they weren't actively being recharged.

So, the question is: How much improvement came from the Epsom Salts treatment and how much improvement came from simply charging them repeatedly?
Which brings up another question. How much further would the cart now be traveling, had the electrolyte not been significantly diluted by the Epsom Salts solution?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
ytinky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The batteries ARE 10 years old.. They definately need to be replaced. I am a NY snowbird in Fl. I am only trying to get a little more time out of them, til i return to ny. next winter i will replace all of them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO