lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
dan161
Getting Wild

Default 1990 marathon throttle cable adjustment

I have a 90 marathon and the problem I am having is I can't find a happy medium to where the carb butterfly is opening all the way at full throttle and then closing all the way when let off throttle. Another words I can get it to open all the way but then it won't close all the way and it backfires.....or I can get it to close all the way but then it only opens about 3/4 while watching the butterfly at full throttle.
I have tried adjusting both ends of the throttle cable but still end up with same problem essentially either way. If I adjust the cable so it opens all the way and try to shorten the arm between carb linkage and governor arm so it closes all the way I don't gain anything....still only get fully closed or fully open. What else can I adjust or what am I missing to get this adjusted correctly? The governor spring has been removed if it matters. Thanks for any advice!!
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 marathon throttle cable adjustment

I had the same problem when I tried adjusting mine a few weeks ago, I finally got it but after having to make adjustments to the cable and the rods connecting everything. I followed the great right up by "Bob-O" in the tech section for Routine Maintenance.

Theres the link:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
Jpunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
dan161
Getting Wild

Thanks Jpunt....mines a 1990 tho and this is for newer the way it sounds. Plus if you try reading the way the manual describes doing it then it almost sounds backwards from the way this link describes it. The manual says to hold both governor arm and throttle plate wide open and adjust the link between them at wide open, then go to the cable and start adjusting it from there.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
dan161
Getting Wild

Any other ideas out there? I have tried several times with this doing it the way the manual suggest as well as any other way I can think of. I'm still looking for that happy spot where I can hit wide open and yet still get it to close all the way so I don't get the backfiring.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You have tried adjusting all linkages right? Not just the one for the throttle plate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Jpunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
dan161
Getting Wild

The only linkage I can see is the one from the governor arm to throttle itself. Other then that and both ends of the throttle cable I don't see anything else to adjust.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
dan161
Getting Wild

I'm bringing this question back because it's still there and I can't figure it out. Obviously it's more important it closes all the way so it doesn't backfire like a stockcar. I can get enough speed on flat ground that it doesn't bother me but I drive some decent size hills in town and it would be nice to get all I could out of it then. Every time I adjust one thing to gain on opening or closing, I lose on the other. Somehow there has to be a happy medium.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
loudgoldwing
Not Yet Wild

On my '89, I have 2 points on the carb-top butterfly armature where the adjustable throttle "dogbone" could snap on. One of these snap-on knobbies is right near the the swivel point of the carb armature. The other is out toward the far end of the carb armature.

When I removed the oiltank from my cart and switched to premix, I had the same problem as you. The cart just felt really sluggish, with the carb range only opening at about 50% at full throttle.

What I had done was attach the throttle dogbone to the wrong knobbie on the carb armature... you have to attach it to the knobbie closest to the center pivot point. The other one out at the end is for the oil pump.

Farther away from center pivot = LESS pivot = LESS opening (or closing) of the butterfly.

Or, your throttle cable came loose down by your gas pedal, and is moving freely when you step on the gas.
loudgoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
dan161
Getting Wild

I have it connected to the right ball so that's no it. I don't have any cable down by the pedal. It's all linkage from the pedal to right under driver seat where it connects to the cable there. Both ends of the cable are tight tho.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
dan161
Getting Wild

Bout ready to take this cart to the shop and have them figure it out. I'm sure stuff is hooked to the right place, but if I adjust so it closes the carb all the way when off the gas pedal then I'm probably only about 80% open at max. If I adjust so the that I can open the carb butterfly 100% then its not closing all the way and I get alot of backfiring which is definately not good. Just seems like I'm not getting anywhere no matter what I adjust or try.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO