lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Default Need some help with MPT rebuild

I am new to these carts and do not know much about them. I can work on them, as I have had to work on the MPT already to get it in running order, rebuilt the horn switch, replace the headlight switch with a standard toggle.

Here is the deal:
I have a 2004 MPT 1200 with a 350 Robyn engine. It is completely stock, tires and all. I have a 2008 ST Sport ii with the 350 Robyn engine. Completely stock. I want to leave the ST as it is, just put some nice rims and tires on it. Maybe chrome it up some.

The MPT is a different story. I want to take the tires from the ST Sport (22X11-10) and put them on the MPT, currently 18X8.5-8.
The MPT needs the front end rebuilt. The bushings are so bad it is hard to steer even with the stock tires. I will most likely need to replace the spindles. So If I need to do that and get a kit to raise or lower I am fine with that. I just need to know what I need to raise the MPT high enough to accommodate the ST tires. Either way I will need to rebuild the front end on the MPT.

Second item, I noticed that the MPT does not have the smooth take off that the ST has. The ST you just give it slight pedal and it takes off without jerking your neck off. I am unsure of the deg of clutch I currently have on the MPT, but I want to get the MPT like the ST on takeoff.

I will be using the MPT around the house to haul small items, or just general yard work as it has the electric tilt bed for the wife. It is also the traveler to and from my folk’s house and sisters that live across the field about a half a mile or so.

So there are my problems for my winter project. What do I need to do?
BillieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need some help with MPT rebuild

Anyone willing to tackle?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It sounds like a spindle lift kit would be the solution, you get the height you need and get to replace the spindles. Why is it you need to replace the spindles? The jerking on take off may have something to do with the belt but i'm still learning. Someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I am more of an OEM type of guy and do not like the spindle lift kits. Personal opinion. They will work but they also change the turning radius as they push the wheels farther out and most kits have a stop on the spindle to keep from turning sharply. So my 2 cents is to buy the basic 4 inch OEM drop axle lift and be done. Comes with a new axle, new spindles, new king pins and all the goodies needed. With this kit however you will have to flip the rear brakes from side to side if the cables are above the axle. Jakes also makes a kit, 5 inches I believe that you would not have to flip the brakes but I know nothing else about that kit.

As for the jerky takeoff, it sounds like the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. Look here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

KG, are you referring to AS lifts? I didn't see a Jakes that included spindles in the axle lift.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You are 100% correct.. Told you I didn't know much about the Jakes :)

And looking at the AllSports it appears they use long shackles to get the rear lift. I know I don't like that..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I am more of an OEM type of guy and do not like the spindle lift kits. Personal opinion. They will work but they also change the turning radius as they push the wheels farther out and most kits have a stop on the spindle to keep from turning sharply. So my 2 cents is to buy the basic 4 inch OEM drop axle lift and be done. Comes with a new axle, new spindles, new king pins and all the goodies needed. With this kit however you will have to flip the rear brakes from side to side if the cables are above the axle. Jakes also makes a kit, 5 inches I believe that you would not have to flip the brakes but I know nothing else about that kit.

As for the jerky takeoff, it sounds like the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. Look here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
If I do not have to raise it I will not. I just want the same tires on both vehicles. As for the throttle cable, I checked that. This happens when the belt seems to grab or get tension it gets the tension all at once. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
If I do not have to raise it I will not. I just want the same tires on both vehicles. As for the throttle cable, I checked that. This happens when the belt seems to grab or get tension it gets the tension all at once. Thanks!
Sounds like the drive clutch might need some work done to it. Not sliding in and out properly.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And looking at the AllSports it appears they use long shackles to get the rear lift. I know I don't like that..
Only on the 5" lift to get the extra 1", if he is using 22s the 4" will be fine.

****Disregard I was thinking on a txt****
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdave71 View Post
Sounds like the drive clutch might need some work done to it. Not sliding in and out properly.
I figure I will have to take that apart. I will be looking at it to see what type and spring I may need. I like how your cart is lifted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO