lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Default Re: Steering ball joint removal

Nuke,

My terminology is correct. A ball joint is more correctly used to describe the connection between an upper and lower control arms of a double A-arm type suspension and the steering knuckle or the lower control arm and wishbone. Or lower control arm and knuckle on a McPherson Strut type setup. If we are talking rack and pinion, we are talking tie rods. What is in question here, is indeed the outer and inner tie rod ends.

It does sound like he has the outer tie rod separated from the knuckle, but just in case, Ive explained the best method to separate it from the knuckle. The boot will not come off until the outer tie rod #1 and jam nut #4 are removed from the inner tie rod.

And please do not use a pickle fork to separate ball joints and tie rode joints. Yes, they will separate the two pieces, but not before destroying the dust boot. Now the grease is let out and dirt and water are let in.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie_Tunes View Post
Nuke,

My terminology is correct. A ball joint is more correctly used to describe the connection between an upper and lower control arms of a double A-arm type suspension and the steering knuckle or the lower control arm and wishbone. Or lower control arm and knuckle on a McPherson Strut type setup. If we are talking rack and pinion, we are talking tie rods. What is in question here, is indeed the outer and inner tie rod ends.

It does sound like he has the outer tie rod separated from the knuckle, but just in case, Ive explained the best method to separate it from the knuckle. The boot will not come off until the outer tie rod #1 and jam nut #4 are removed from the inner tie rod.

And please do not use a pickle fork to separate ball joints and tie rode joints. Yes, they will separate the two pieces, but not before destroying the dust boot. Now the grease is let out and dirt and water are let in.
I'm not going to dispute your use of the terms, however, a Ball Joint is a Ball Joint, REGARDLESS of what its attached to, in his application, its is a Ball Joint and its attached to the end of the Rack, not a Tie Rod, not to mention.....even EZ-GO call it a RACK BALL JOINT. if a ball joint is at the end of a Tie Rod, you call it a Tie Rid End, but technically, its still a Ball Joint, so there ya go.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
95 Ez Go Electric. I is the ball joint labled #1 in the schematic. Mine looks a little different so I'll snap a picture tonight. Would this ball joint be reverse thread?
The digrams posted so far are for 2001.5 and newer steering. Your 95 has a different setup.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The digrams posted so far are for 2001.5 and newer steering. Your 95 has a different setup.
gronoman, I posted him the link to his manual and the section that his is in. so he has the info.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

here is the other configuration so all can see, but the same thing applies to how its taken apart.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I reworked mine I found it easier to remove nut 22, then the lower ball joints held by number 16, then slide number 18 out of the housing, finally ball joint 21 came loose from number 18. I had to remove the steering housing, number 13(steering column too), and put it all in a vise to get ball joint 21 off the rack number 30. Ball joint 21 was very tight on the rack, number 30. I tried to use numbers so it would be clear, hope I was successful.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

you did a good job.....your description was very clear......we all like pictures to go with directions, they are so helpful.

but I gotta tell ya......the nuts (#16) are attached to Tie Rod Ends!
ROTFLMAO!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. I did try to losen the nut on the ball joint but it didn't want to come lose. I probably just need to use a little more force. I was nervous about damaging something.

Thanks
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
Thanks guys. I did try to losen the nut on the ball joint but it didn't want to come lose. I probably just need to use a little more force. I was nervous about damaging something.

Thanks
I would try soaking it in some type of penetrating oil.....where its at, I am sure its most likely rusted a bit.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

BUMMER! I fall asleep and miss a HUGE p!ssing contest.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO