lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brand new batteries, only 37.1 volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
It will take several charge cycles for your new batteries to reach a 100% SOC. Don't be alarmed and follow the procedure in the link "JohnnieB" gave you.
OK, that makes sense now. I was not aware of that.
The only thing that does not quite jive is JohnnieB recommends to not go below 70% during break-in. My pack was at 70% after the first charge.

So, should I not go below 70% during break-in, even if that means I ride it for short periods of time until it gets 100% SoC?

I plan to follow the JonnieB break in procedures.
theskyiscrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyiscrying View Post
OK, that makes sense now. I was not aware of that.
The only thing that does not quite jive is JohnnieB recommends to not go below 70% during break-in. My pack was at 70% after the first charge.

So, should I not go below 70% during break-in, even if that means I ride it for short periods of time until it gets 100% SoC?

I plan to follow the JonnieB break in procedures.
Just a minor correction/clarification to what simple man said.
New batteries will reach 100% SoC (State of Charge) immediately. What doesn't reach 100% until the batteries are broken in is Storage Capacity, which is rated in Amp-Hours.
Basically, your batteries have a 235AH rating when discharged at a 20 hour rate, but being new they only have a storage capacity of about 176AH (75% of 235AH).
The capacity will increase towards the 235AH rating as they are broken in and if you do it right, they will reach it.

--------------
Your batteries' first charge got interrupted for some reason. The backup timer timed out or something like that.
The first charge isn't complete until the charger shuts off automatically and the SOC is 100%.

Since the backup timer on your charger is only 12 hours, you may have to restart the charge to get a full charge the first few times you charge your new batteries.

Once they had been charged a few time, the charge time decreases. Of course, the length of the charge time depends on how deeply they were discharged.

---------------
The link I posted was for scottyb's website (Carts unlimited) and I'm just a customer.

For the first dozen or two charge cycles, avoid discharging below 70% SoC, but you do not have to discharge to 70% SoC before recharging.

BTW: As mentioned above SoC and Storage Capacity are two entirely different animals.
SoC can be estimated fairly accurately by measuring the At-Rest (Neither charged or discharged for about 12 hours after charging or about half an hour after being used.) voltage and looking up the SoC on a chart.
Storage Capacity is determined by discharging the battery at known rate and timing how long it take for the voltage to reach 1.75VPC (Volts per Cell).

Saying 100% SoC is like saying a glass is full of water, but it does not tell you how many ounces the glass holds.

--------
Lead-acid batteries do not have a memory, so they do not have to be discharged to any particular SoC before recharging.

For maximum battery lifespan you want to keep the average SoC as high as possible and practical.
That means charging after each use, or if you routinely use your cart for numerous short trips, put it on charge every night.

----------
Hope this helps.
It's a bit foggy at first, but the fog does clear.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, excellent explanation.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks John! My bad, I got the terms reversed! In answer to "theskyiscrying's" question about SOC, you can unplug and replug the charger to cart connection and let the charge process run again. You don't need to use the cart in between. You may have to do this if your batteries were low when you got them.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK fellas.
I plugged it back in yesterday and let it run until it stopped. I then plugged it back in last night and it stopped some time overnight.
I just read the voltage on the pack and it was 37.1 v
I read each battery individually and it was 6.2 v

I've got it plugged in again, but how many times does it take to get it to full 38.2 ?

Also, I checked the water level in each battery and none of the plates were exposed.

On these Crown's (235), where should the water level be?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Something is wrong someplace!!!!!

What is the pack voltage while on charge?

----------
The electrolyte level should be about 1/4" below the bottom of the vent wells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electrolyte Level.JPG (52.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

45.1 volts while on charge
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It finished charging again in the last 30 min. I checked pack voltage and it's 40.2
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

but what ya really need to know is the pack voltage 12 hrs AFTER its done charging, and no use of the cart. that's what the guys need/want to know.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
but what ya really need to know is the pack voltage 12 hrs AFTER its done charging, and no use of the cart. that's what the guys need/want to know.
I hear ya, but prior to the last charge, I checked it around 6 hours and it was 37.1. at 12 hours it would have been lower or the same, right? It loses the surface charge and the voltage drops.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO