lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT High speed shimmy and front end parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Worn kingpin bushings (they're plastic) would be at the top of my " to check" list.
agreed +1
also wheels may be out of round and causing a bounce feel
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Question:

Since toe-in is supposed to be measured at the outer edge of the tire, should the toe-in change based on the tire's radius, or is it just an angle? To clarify, if I run 18" tires, and I used your method, I'm assuming my measurements would be taken at 9" from the center of the axle. If I were to be running 24" tires (just for argument's sake) would I still use 9" so the angle is the same, or would I use 12" so the difference between the front of tire and back of tire is consistent, since a bigger tire probably has more "rubber on the road"?
for the alignment, I've found that using the center of the tire has worked very well with my tires that all have the rubber protruding from the center of the tire. Otherwise I've also used chalk and measured to the center and made a line with the chalk. If you measure from the outside or the center it doesn't matter as long as you measure from the same opposite place on the front and back.....measure twice, cut once.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I guess what I meant was, if we use the jig proposed by Sportcoupe, where should the 1/8" (or whatever) be measured from?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I guess what I meant was, if we use the jig proposed by Sportcoupe, where should the 1/8" (or whatever) be measured from?
It's intended to represent actual toe of your setup, so it should be measured at equivalent distance of wheel radius away from hub center. So in your example, 12". That will give you an accurate and consistent measurement. On the race cars, we have a jig that sits against rim bead edges and measurement is taken at tire contact (tread for some) point. It is also effected by wheels with a high offset, which is part of why we do it with wheels on hubs.

It is an angle that is constant, so each additional inch away from hub center would add just over ten thousandths more toe-in as measured at that point, if we were 1/8"(.125) at 12"

On carts, we just need the stability, not performance per say, so my guess is that it may be hard to tell diffc between 1/8" and 1/16...at 3/16+ though, you will certainly start to slow cart and increase tire wear.

Hope this helps...
cbryan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. Took six quarters of calculus, but never took trig. Victim of public schools, before Georgia Tech.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL...I never doubted your smarts...but as an NC State man, I now see a friendly rivalry emerging, lol...at the end of the day, I don't think we need Trig or Calc to work on these carts, just patience mostly :-)...and of course all the helpful insight we get from our friends on this forum...
cbryan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I need to do my toe tonight, with the new PQ, Reverse Contactors and the move to 48V the least bit out is enhanced. I think my tires are out of round.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

It's been said in many other posts, but I'll repeat it for those who may have missed. If the buggy sits quietly for several days, or weeks, the tires seem to develop flat spots, and are bumpier when you first hop in. May be more noticeable on some tires than others. I noticed it the other day, after talking about it, and it seemed to go away as soon as the tires warmed up.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see that as well. Living in Arizona and the temps are high and even higher in the garage where my buggy lives it is not as bad I suppose as other states in a colder climate.

Using mine everyday... except for the last week when the controller was at Alltrax... it should not be that bad but I can lean out and see the change in the diameter. I need to work with the tire pressure and see what works best. Not sure what the max pressure is that they can take but I will dig around and see what I can find.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO