lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Data Logging from an Alltrax controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptaylor View Post
ok, I see. Then no need to reinvent the wheel. It already does most of it, or it seems, you just want something smaller than a laptop.

The software was written for Windows so it will need that OS to run.

What I would be looking for in your case is one of those older, micro laptops that can run XP. They had them many years ago, they were very small, very limited computers that could fit in your pocket....literally. Had RS232 port and USB. They should be very inexpensive now for a used one.

Not very good at doing serious work on but if you could find one cheap enough, it would be a great data logger and cheaper than a real data logger.
That looks like it might do the trick.
I've used mostly mainframes, minis and desktops, and never got into the portable stuff much, so I'm at a loss for what was and is out there.

Now to find a mini-laptop (or whatever they are called) that runs XP and has a sufficient storage space.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction....
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You probably already know this, but I'd check Alltrax' software minimum requirements when looking for legacy equipment. I'd think processor, RAM, and HD would be fine, but minimum screen resolution might be something to double check. It would stink to buy a device that did 640 x 480, only to find out Alltrax wants 800 x 600.

EDIT:
Nevermind. It will run on Windows 98.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptaylor View Post
ok, I see. Then no need to reinvent the wheel. It already does most of it, or it seems, you just want something smaller than a laptop.

The software was written for Windows so it will need that OS to run.

What I would be looking for in your case is one of those older, micro laptops that can run XP. They had them many years ago, they were very small, very limited computers that could fit in your pocket....literally. Had RS232 port and USB. They should be very inexpensive now for a used one.

Not very good at doing serious work on but if you could find one cheap enough, it would be a great data logger and cheaper than a real data logger.
Wow, never knew something like that even existed!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You probably already know this, but I'd check Alltrax' software minimum requirements when looking for legacy equipment. I'd think processor, RAM, and HD would be fine, but minimum screen resolution might be something to double check. It would stink to buy a device that did 640 x 480, only to find out Alltrax wants 800 x 600.

EDIT:
Nevermind. It will run on Windows 98.
Wonder if it will run on Windows 95C.
Somewhere in my "stuff", I've got an old Toshiba Satellite 330 that I used for calibrating older X-Ray systems that wouldn't talk to anything after Win-98.

Win-95C is FAT-32, while 95, 95A & 95B are Fat-16, so just about everything that will run under Win-98 will run under Win-95C.

If it works, I'll use it for programming the controller instead of borrowing SWMBO's laptop. (She guards it like a mother hen. )

It even has a real serial port. The battery is shot and I doubt if can find a replacement for less than an arm & leg, so I'll have to build a 15V-2A power source for it to use it as a data logger. (Who knows, it might run on 12V)

I took a peek at the pocket sized PC's. Some of those cost more than a good desktop.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you have a reducer and a 120 volt inverter? I have a banker's box sized box full of adapters, and bet I have a 15 volt DC one. I assume it has an external jack? If you need one, I'll need the amperage rating.

As usual, free.

As to the mini/micro PCs, I think we were considering an eBay used one.

For that matter, I have a 300 watt inverter that I've "outgrown" as I also have a 600 and a 750.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Two other options for powering it:

If you have a reducer and inverter, I built a PSU from an old computer PSU that has -12v, -5v, 0, +3.3, +5, and + 12, so you could easily get 15.5 from a switching computer PSU.

Another option is what I did for my ammeter, which is buy a DC to DC converter chip. I don't think I paid more than a couple of bucks for it, and only needed to put it on perf-board and add a burden resistor, as it wanted more load than my ammeter took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1881.jpg (151.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1882.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1883.jpg (164.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ yurtle:
Thanks, I've got to dig it out and see if it'll work and then figure out how to power it from the cart.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

Check this out.http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...pro-28113.html
cptaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

Maybe......http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/

Very iffy, but it would be interesting to try

Also....
http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...roducts_id=404

Again, doubt it, but hey, you never know.
cptaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JB, you can get a battery for the Toshiba on eBay for less than $20.....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO