lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 EZGO Marathon Has No Low End Torque

New poster here. I just purchased a mint condition 93 Freedom/Marathon that has no low end torque. Once it gets going, I clocked it at 17 mph which is fast for this model. If I try to start it in the grass it won't move. I tested the pot box and the ohm's are correct. All of the batteries test at 6.2.
What else and can I check? If it is the controller, I have a place 30 minutes away that will restore it.
Let me know what tests I can do to isolate the problem

Thanks for your help. I love this site!
rlpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 EZGO Marathon Has No Low End Torque

a couple of things....are your batteries FULLY charged? as they are only showing about 90% SoC.
and considering that it will run 17 mph, which is about 5 or 6 mph over normal for that cart....I would be looking at the motor and see if a aftermarket speed motor was installed....for when you put a high speed motor, the torque suffers.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What size tires on it?

Sounds like they are about 23" tall.
That would produce about 17MPH and very little low end torque.

Could also be bad high current cables, Etc.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

They are the standard size tires that came with it. I rechecked the batteries and all of them are at 6.2 after sitting for at least a day. When I do charge them the charger never goes below 10 amps and will sit there for a day and never turn off
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

a few questions and I know you may or may not be able to answer.

READ ALL THE BATTERY STUFF http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

1. did you KNOW the person you bought the cart from? (so you could ask them some of the questions)
2. How old are the batteries?
3. Were that taken PROPER care of?
a. only toped off with Distilled Water?
b. broke in properly?
c. kept charged at all times? 4. What is the total voltage of the pack, before you disconnect the charger, but after an extended charge time. it should be in the neighborhood of 45-47V. Depending on what it is, either the charger can't get them up to that level for some reason (battery issue) which is why its still at 10a, or you may have a charger issue.
5. After that long charge cycle, and its still charging at 10a, are the batteries warm/hot?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks-Unfortunately I can't get the answers for 1-3 but I am assuming they were filled with water and sometimes overfilled.
How do you check the "total voltage of the pack"? I checked each battery but I am not sure how to check all 6. I have been charging them for a couple of hours and they are luke warm and the charge is down to 8 amps. I did go in and remove quite a bit of water from each cell (leaving about 1/4"-1/2") of water above the cells.
Thanks for your advice. I am hoping the batteries just needed a correct charging.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well seeing as how you can check EACH battery, we will assume you have a DVM, Put the red lead on the + of the FIRST battery of the pack, and the black lead on the - of the LAST battery of the pack....and set it to the correct range. That way you are reading the TOTAL pack Voltage. just like warm....that's normal, nothing to worry about there. just let them charge......

I had a pack that got very low once, but still serviceable and it took 22.5 hours of continual charging before it shut off automatically.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

BTW.....if your cart doesn't have a built in Digital Volt Meter to monitor pack voltage, and I am guessing you don't, I would highly suggest you buy one and install it. This you have a virtual "GAS GAUGE" with out having to get out the hand held that you use for testing. Having this could actually save you from running down the batteries that permanent damage will occur.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you may want to check if the gear ratio was changed.
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

Just purchased one on line. I checked the voltage (with the charger charging) and I am getting 37.5 volts. The charger is stuck on 8 amps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO