lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
kalkake
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Starting/low speed running issues

New member here, been browsing for quite a while and wanted to thank everyone for their input so far in other threads.

I have searched quite a bit and so far have been able to get my free g1 running, just having some issues. So far I have blown out all the fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter, re primed the fuel pump and replaced the pulse line which had a crack in it. I get spurts of fuel when cranking. I pulled the carb completely apart and blew out all jets with carb cleaner and compressed air (120psi) the carb actually looked good. Also replaced the coil, the old one was cracked. It cranks well, and I am getting 120psi on my compression gauge.

When I try and start it, it just cranks and cranks. If I pull the choke for 1/2 sec it will fire to life but sometime dies again when its cold. After a few times doing that I can get it to run enough, but stumbling to pick up enough rpms to engage the clutch and drive system. Once it is moving i can run full throttle all day long, up and down my street. When I slow down to turn around it does an ok job at holding a fast idle and picking back up and transitioning to full throttle and full speed. If i completely stop and the motor turns off, I need to pull the choke again for 1/2 sec for it to come back to life. Then it starts over stumbling a little until it picks up rpm to engage the clutch and drive system.

If I shoot a quick shot of started fluid into the carb it fires right to life. I looked at the carb spacer tonight and it does have small hairline cracks in it. If I spray starting fluid at the joint of the carb spacer to carb it fires up. This makes me think i have an intake leak on the spacer, on the joint or the carb itself. I am going to try and different hose clamp tomorrow the current clamp is beat up and can't fully tighten it down. Past that I am going to check the carb for cracks and the carb spacer for cracks that go all the way through.

Questions
First I have looked at carb spacers available online and thought the sponsors, they all show a nipple on the top of the spacer. Mine does not have this, it is 4 flange bolts and tapers down with a hose clamp. Why the difference?

Second I have been reading quite a bit on the crank seals, both clutch and fan side. In other threads I have read from people that have similar issues as me is that that are always recommended to check them, but they have also had low compression. I am great when it comes to auto engines, v8's stroker motors etc but new to the 2 strokes. With my motor pushing 120psi would this eliminate the crank seals as my failure point, or is the crank seals function only come into play on the intake stroke, not the compression stroke?

Third, this is my first gas cart, is it normal to need to rely on the choke once it is warm?

Thanks again in advance for any help. Just need a little guidance from someone that has worked on these in the past.

Jason
kalkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Starting/low speed running issues

Get those vacuum leaks fixed pronto! (no more driving!). Do the crankshaft seals too (another source of vacuum leaks). Vacuum leaks will kill a 2-stroke faster than driving it around with no air filter. If you keep driving it, you will have alot less than 120 psi (already a little low - 150 is desirable).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
kalkake
Not Yet Wild

Did a little more research tonight. Pulled the carb spacer off and it looks great on the inside, also looked at reeds all 4 look good also. I put is all back together and start trying to find where my vacuum leak is coming from. Finally located the throttle shaft bushing as my failure point. As soon as I spray starter fluid at the top of the shaft it revs up and hits the governor, pulled it apart and most of the bushing is gone, as well as a nice groove cut into the shaft. So instead of trying to band aid this carb I just ordered a new one. We will see how it runs once I get it next week.

Hopefully I will have this at the cabin next weekend!

Jason
kalkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Good luck.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha