lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: purchase umax spring

Changing springs ,spring positions , shaving sheaves, whatever else you do to your CVT does not alter anything but at what rpm and how gradual the shift over occurs.Your low and high gear ratios are still the same. It can aid in climbing hills or pulling heavy loads because it does keep the CVT in a lower ratio with the engine at a higher rpm range. It doesn't add any max torque or max speed because the actual ratios have not changed.There are extra low speed gears available for some carts to add torque BUT doing that takes away from top end speed.And there are high speed gears that add top end speed with a loss of low end pulling torque.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #12
Nighthawk76
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Changing springs ,spring positions , shaving sheaves, whatever else you do to your CVT does not alter anything but at what rpm and how gradual the shift over occurs.Your low and high gear ratios are still the same. It can aid in climbing hills or pulling heavy loads because it does keep the CVT in a lower ratio with the engine at a higher rpm range. It doesn't add any max torque or max speed because the actual ratios have not changed.There are extra low speed gears available for some carts to add torque BUT doing that takes away from top end speed.And there are high speed gears that add top end speed with a loss of low end pulling torque.
Yes I know. Just didn’t word what I meant correctly.

So which direction do I go if B-4 isn’t enough for my liking? A or C or ?
Nighthawk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #13
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Not exactly right, machined sheave allows the sheaves to close closer together which makes the belt ride higher (even slightly above). The diameter becomes larger increasing low end take off....leave the plastic spacer out.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Well said! Clutching in these carts is crucial! It doesn't matter how much power our engines make, it about how that power is delivered to the ground. I can set the clutches on my Vanguard cart so it feels like it has very little torque. A few changes in the clutches and the torque is back. That goes for stock carts also. You have to find the sweet spot.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #15
Nighthawk76
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Not exactly right, machined sheave allows the sheaves to close closer together which makes the belt ride higher (even slightly above). The diameter becomes larger increasing low end take off....leave the plastic spacer out.
So which direction do I go after B-4 ?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Nighthawk76
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Why leave the plastic spacer out? There is no gap between the sheaves themselves, however the surface area the spacer sets against do touch as they’re set in slightly, I wouldn’t think you’d want metal to metal? Basically taking out the spacer won’t make the sheave faces any closer together.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk76 View Post
Why leave the plastic spacer out? There is no gap between the sheaves themselves, however the surface area the spacer sets against do touch as they’re set in slightly, I wouldn’t think you’d want metal to metal? Basically taking out the spacer won’t make the sheave faces any closer together.
Removing the spacer is fine. I would recommend using it on a G1 because the secondary is moving in both directions.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk76 View Post
Taking the spacer out does move the faces closer together and that increases the diameter of where the belt will ride on the driven clutch. Yes, G1 is a different story.

On my Vanguard setups, I set the stock Yamaha driven clutch spring at B2.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On my VC 460 I have stock Yamaha sheaf and spring set on B-1 Full shift over is in the 3200-3500 rpm range. I also am using a Dayco XTX 2264 1 1/4" double cogged snowmobile belt that rides high on both clutches. Can't say what it does on the low end but does give me 3-4 mph for a given rpm in the cruise mode.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
On my VC 460 I have stock Yamaha sheaf and spring set on B-1 Full shift over is in the 3200-3500 rpm range. I also am using a Dayco XTX 2264 1 1/4" double cogged snowmobile belt that rides high on both clutches. Can't say what it does on the low end but does give me 3-4 mph for a given rpm in the cruise mode.
Any chance you have a pic of the 1.250 belt on the secondary clutch? I've always wanted to try one on mine but was worried it would ride too high.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha