lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ-GO Won't Start

Hi - I haven't been on here for quite a while (no problems) and don't know if I'm posting in the right place, so have patience..... I have a 1998 ezgo txt w/ a 295 gas 4-stroke robins. The cart was running and just quit. The cart will not re-start. The cart has battery power but will not engage starter? Any ideas?

At the beginning of the year when my grandkids would use it for a long time, I would smell rotten eggs. Evidently it was battery acid as when I investigated, I found the battery low on fluid and swollen. I replaced with new battery and this happened again.... Could it be charging too much? This never happens to me, only when my grandkids use it and basically they never get off it. I topped it off with more fluid and everything seemed ok until it quit running.

I am reasonably handy but limited in knowledge of golf carts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.......
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Won't Start

I would check the voltage regulator. I don't know if you have a maintenance mode, or if you have to put it up on jacks, but run that thing at speed, and check the voltage at the battery. You should only have around 14 volts.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Somehow I only saw the bottom half of your post. I completely missed the part about it not starting now.

I would jump the positive battery cable straight to your starter to see if it will turn over that way.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your replies Cart Around......I'll being going to the lake this weekend and will further check it out.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I went to lake and looked at cart. It turns over very erratically and slowly and the starter/generator, positive starter cable, and negative battery cable get very warm?

The battery is new (2 months). Battery is reading 13.8 to 14.0 volts (not running). Will be taking ohms meter and electrical diagram back up there this weekend, so will be able to do more substantial testing.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 08-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: gramatical changes and added more info
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: EZ-GO Won't Start

Thanks for your help...... Went back to lake and took readings......pulled starter/generator......took apart and brushes were shot and the rear bearing was ate up. Replaced with new starter/generator and voltage regulator. fired right up and is running great......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO