lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Onward Lithium replacement gears

Interesting. (I'm no engineer) I dunno what the weight loss pickup on your cart was when you swapped from FLA to Lith. so a higher ratio could be done without to much additional "stress" on the motor.

But....and I have no proof of this.....I'm thinking that those initial starts will put more pressure on the motor to perform....and the "push" to increase top speed will cause more amps to draw.

And IIRC.....pulling more amps either turns into the motor using more energy.....or if not....turns into heat.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Interesting. (I'm no engineer) I dunno what the weight loss pickup on your cart was when you swapped from FLA to Lith. so a higher ratio could be done without to much additional "stress" on the motor.

But....and I have no proof of this.....I'm thinking that those initial starts will put more pressure on the motor to perform....and the "push" to increase top speed will cause more amps to draw.

And IIRC.....pulling more amps either turns into the motor using more energy.....or if not....turns into heat.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

FWIW
I think his is a factory lithium cart, if I'm not mistaken - hence no weight loss, and likely a very large commensurate increase in amp draw from the battery due to the 8:1 gearing.

Another concern with this scenario to me, in addition to the drop in efficiency and loss of acceleration would be the stock controller now dealing with increased current that it isn't expecting. Maybe somebody can program those things to accommodate the changes he's making? - not sure - and maybe it will work OK w/out changing anything.

The "Lithium HP" carts had just recently been introduced when I was buying, and I remember my major concern when purchasing my Onward was probable difficulty in being able to mod one of those. I felt like I may eventually end up having to pull out the controller, the battery and the motor to get significantly higher speeds, responsiveness and range out of it, negating the benefits of the "Lithium HP" -vs- modding the non-lithium version (where of course I ended up pulling out the motor, controller, and FLA batteries - but I had planned on doing that first thing, knowing I wasn't going to be happy with 19mph).

Hopefully, since they've been around a while now, the knowledge base is better and maybe the controller, motor, or lithium pack might be able to be mixed and matched with other, higher performance counterparts, or be re-programmed to better match changes in other components. My sense was that it was / is a very well engineered system of motor, controller, BMS and battery that was all integrated very intelligently, but that wasn't really supposed to be separated - if its stock performance was about what you were looking for, you were in good shape but if you wanted to mess with it you may have some difficulty.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

All valid points Fstop.

I know that for my hunting cart, I re-set my "old fashion" Alltrax controller so the maximum amp draw permitted was 300 amps.

Not knowing if his controller is user adjustable.....if so he could limit the amp draw.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #14
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
All valid points Fstop.

I know that for my hunting cart, I re-set my "old fashion" Alltrax controller so the maximum amp draw permitted was 300 amps.

Not knowing if his controller is user adjustable.....if so he could limit the amp draw.
Agreed - I think the dealer would have to do it through the service port, if the dealer SW allows, unless the OP could borrow / rent a Curtis programmer that is compatible with whatever controller they are putting in those Lithium HP carts.

I know there is a forum member - Bob Boyce if memory serves - over on the EzGo forum who is a real guru with some of the factory controllers. He might know something about setting up a stock controller.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

OP any updates?
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
DaveL150
Not Yet Wild

I just purchased an Onward Lithium 2022. One of the options they offered me was a gear swap. Not a factory thing but offered by the dealer. I think they have a shop doing custom work. Don't know any other info on this.
DaveL150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
m_likovich
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did you ever get the gears installed? My dad has a onward HP lithium and is trying to increase speed as well. We had them adjust the tire size with the OBC port so now we are getting 25 mph out of it on the 22” tires. Wasn’t sure if the computer would allow more speed even with a gear swap. Thanks
m_likovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #18
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_likovich View Post
Did you ever get the gears installed? My dad has a onward HP lithium and is trying to increase speed as well. We had them adjust the tire size with the OBC port so now we are getting 25 mph out of it on the 22” tires. Wasn’t sure if the computer would allow more speed even with a gear swap. Thanks
Is his cart lifted? Thought those came with 23" tires, and didn't know you could get 22" tires on a non-lifted?

Interesting that via simple programming you can get 25mph out of it - first I've seen of that on the forum I think. Good news!
Old 07-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #19
Kallig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does anyone have an update on this?

Trying to get a little bit More speed out of my Lifted Onward HP.

Thank you in advance!
Kallig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #20
Jdbretz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
Seems after a few days of research I was able to answer my own question. If anyone else is looking to improve the top speed of a factory lithium cart with new gears let me know.
I’ve got a 2022 Onward Lithium and ordered the Apache 8:1 gears. Did you reuse the bearings off the stock gears or did you buy new bearings to press on? If you bought new bearings, could you provide the part numbers you used? I plan on doing the install soon. Thanks

Justin
Jdbretz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, gears, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car