lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The CLONE engine setup & specs thread

Yeah need like 28" tires for the diesel! lol I'd love to have coin for the 20hp v twin diesel. They use them in UK in scooters and motorcyles, they can get 100mpg or something and 40mph etc., there is a cool site/forum about them someplace. The EPA has been really strange about them here that is why you can't find them. Like everyone will pollute the planet saving fuel in their golfcart or whatever they use them for....maybe they can pull rakes down the Gulf beaches with them and use less fuel.

Heck no, cart gas tank will be used and pump. You can get an intake spacer but I looked at this one and think I can drill it for a fitting anyway. Air box is not very good may have to buy the hose connector for that not sure. Exhaust, not sure either. Has cast iron manifold straight up then a flat muffler on it. I can make a plate to bolt on and weld pipe...will have to see where it is in the cart. I may use its muffler for this one or for now just move it so it don't set the seat on fire. I hope the carb has no problems with a pump, nobody said they did.

Clutch- yes bought the adapter from CPP $50. Will make brackets to mount the generator. I think I can rig a relay from the cart ignition switch to short the key switch on when the pedal is down, the generator should operate as it did. I have some super secret plans for adding a spring to the stock clutch but never tried it hope I can. This guy I rebuilt his like new last year.

Trying to decide if I should split the case when its all clean and yank the governor parts out. Found one site said the flywheel key can just be ground to advance it, can also buy them. Even the idle screw has a cap on it so you can't adjust it, lol, right.

Sucker has compression it don't pull over that easy. Also the throttle and choke are plastic linkage parts. That starter is a tiny thing, I got it because the price is not that much different and you never know might swap it or use that way in the future. The guy also said the place next to him carries parts for them. I was wondering about a high rpm kit, but read a guy who is running one hard with nothing and no problems. I don't wind it out that much just here and there. It also has a low oil sensor.

I'll have to take my camera and some photos of the mount we build and all that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sweet, just got this email back:
Quote:
If you just remove the govenor you should be able to get about 5000 rpm from your 16hp motor. We recommend installing a high flow air filter, larger main jet and a header after the govenor is removed. The next step would be an aluminum flywheel and then a bored out carb.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
affordablegokarts.com

That was nice of them the other place never answered me. I'll be shopping there. He says nothing about the advance key though(?).

I plan on a car airbox for mine, not sure on this one. Car air filters are like $9 and huge. I might pipe it to the front as well if it does not slow it down.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

i ordered the 16hp electric start motor from carolstream off of ebay after talking to them on the phone. it was in my driveway the next day. i have my cart all stripped down with the new motor sitting in it with the throttle linkage fabbed up. i need to get few more parts and then fab a motor mount for it. as soon as a i have time..........
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

We took his engine out last fall, mine too actually, but didn't get on this so I put mine back in to use. So going to do his and see how it works then do mine. His was blowing oil mine just gets weak when its hot.

I can enlarge the main jet with a torch tip cleaner, lol, worked great on my cart.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Ok I will quickly go over a few things I did for my clone install. This is an ezgo but it has a yamaha g2 rear end.

Motor mounts - I made myself...see the pics in link.
Key switch - took out of the big blue box, stetched harness, and installed in the dash...make sure to connect the small wire to ground or the engine wont turn off.
Fuel system - Get rid of the gas tank on the engine! I've always had these leak at the cap, they are hard to fill up and they dont hold enough fuel to go any more than 30 miles. I used a new original ezgo tank and a universal pulse fuel pump from any riding lawnmower shop. I tapped into the valve cover for the pulse line and installed a 1/4" barb fitting from lowes for the fuel line. The barb just screws into the hole you drill but I also put jb weld around the base to seal it good.
Throttle cable - see pics. This is the best way I have found to do it and it works perfect.
Choke cable- I drill a hole in the choke lever on the engine and fasten the cable to it. The pics explain it easier.
Exhaust - scrap the stock muffler unless you like the sound of lawnmowers. I bent a custom exhaust header from 1.25" tubing and welded it to a Thrush car muffler.
Intake - I rerouted the intake to the bagwell for more clearance and cooler cleaner air. I made a snorkel from 1.5" flexible plumbing hose I got from lowes.
Clutch - Comet 780 from CPP but I doubt these are available still.

I guess thats all there is to it. Have fun. Stay safe. Enjoy.

Here's the link for pics

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-build-up.html
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wow thanks for posting all that Extreme, looks like a great project! One issue with this is the hose aircleaner to rocker cover, it just lays there and has no seal to the rocker. It must be different than the blue engine. It will fall right out if I pull on it. There is no way one would get a pump signal with that either. Otherwise if I take the governor out I could tap that hole for the pump, but come up with a different throttle linkage. Some say use the intake it is cleaner so I was going to.

Right the muffler is another issue I have to find a small quiet one....maybe a Yugo muffler lol. I was thinking of putting a valve on mine but not sure what kind would work, for a cutout lol.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Holy smokes, going to have to cut most of the crank off to mount the stock clutch and CPP adapter for it. Have to find out what size the stock Yamaha bolt is the 1/2-20 tap does not fit only a few threads. Will have to drill around an inch deeper into the crank then chop off a couple inches or something to mount the stock clutch.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Why are you cutting so much off, We have never had to remove more than 3/4" on any engine???
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The crank on the stock engine is very short like 1.25". There is a shoulder on the clone but even 1.25 past that is taking near half the 1" part off....by eye. It says you can't leave crank beyond the adapter. I suppose you can mount the clutch away from the engine but the shoulder is over .5" to start with. Still not finding the stock bolt size think it is an oddball 13mm. I know the puller is 14mm had one of those made it worked great. The bolt shaft is very close to .500". We might just make it 1/2-20 and find a bolt.

It is a Lifan 16hp.

Found the G9 manual it says its a 1/2-20 thread, not sure why the two taps I tried did not fit well but that is what it is.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It looks like I could mount the adapter without the spacer behind it at all, against the shoulder, and it still would be out more than stock...though that might work ok. From what I know you want the clutch as close to the block as you can, but I don't know how far the adapter goes into the clutch didn't play with that. I will work on it more this weekend try to get the yam clutch mounted and then make a motor mount for it....going to keep the generator too this might be interesting. Hope it turns that hog over it has plenty of compression....can always use the starter if we have to I suppose but don't want it to work that way.

After that will have to build the airbox and exhaust. Have some 3/4 alum going to try to make a carb spacer with the pickup for the fuel pump.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha