lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Stuck Rear wheel hub help. (Not Frozen)

Can you post some photos of your stuck wheel hub?

We might see something that will assist you in your problem.

Here is a link to a steel plate style puller I made for my Cushman. Not sure if your set up is similar or not ... photos will certainly help. In my case, the brake drum is a seperate piece from the wheel hub ... but I believe a plate style puller like this will provide a balanced concentric pull in either case ... as long as the problem is in the splines ... if it is holding up elsewhere, then maybe not so much.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170299

You might get a few ideas out of this post too:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...+wheel+removal

I know that you are calling it a hub ... I assume that the "hub" is a combination type wheel hub and brake drum

ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2021, 10:54 PM   #12
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not specific to my cart, but when I do my brakes on my vehicles and a drum or rotor won't come off, I use a pneumatic hammer and chisel and just keep working around the center until it comes loose. I use the inexpensive Harbor Freight setup (sku 92037). for 13ish dollars, it isn't a huge investment (if you already have a compressor)
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #13
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately it’s a project cart and isn’t wired up completely yet so I can drive it but I had previously used a similar technique of take castle not off and putting wheels back on and banging the inside of the tire but was unsuccessful. Hopefully I can get it off tomorrow when I have some time. I ended up buying another axle rod so I’ll probably just keep grinding away on this with worrying about destroying the splines. I’ll update. I will say now that I’ve grinded off enough to start seeing spline I can tell that it was rusted up pretty good.

It’s just so frustrating that the things that seem hard are actually easy and the things that would seem a no brainer set me back a month. All the new parts to make this a crazy awesome 48v convert are just sitting in my garage bc of this stupid wheel hub
OhDannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

your situation is a good reminder why its so important to put never seize on the splines when you put a hub on.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Alright alright alight!!!! Hub is off! It literally took grinding around the axle rod with a grinder and cutting the hub off piece by piece. We realized there wasn’t going to be away around salvaging the axle rod even trying to be careful so I had to order another. We were trying to at least salvage the bearings so it took a little time but after about an hour of grinding it’s finally off. Rod came out easy enough after but bearings aren’t in the best of shape so replacing them on weds.

Lesson I learned from this.
2 people (1 was one of the first posts, 1 was a friend) told me to just cut it and move on. I was stuck on trying to save this part and that part bc even though not super expensive it adds up on a flipper. I ended up having to cut it anyway and salvaging nothing and wasting a month on trying this and that. Maybe for times sake I shoulda done that. Probably be done with the project by now.

On to wiring up the alltrax now.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Let's dip a little deeper into the lessons learned ... what caused the wheel hub to be stuck?

Was it the spline and wheel hub being rusted together or was it stuck at another point?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #17
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I’m assuming it was rusted together.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You said right at the start that the hub was different to the other side, maybe the spline profile did not match those on the shaft and it was forced on such as an interference fit part would be.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #19
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

that thought crossed my mind as well. The level of "subpar" engineering on this cart has proven baffling.

However, It worked out eventually. nothing money cant fix haha. i have since replaced the driver side axle rod and bearings. installed a new brake assembly and hub. wired this bad boy up with a new controller, motor, 2 ga cables, and 48v BP. running at 24MPH now with no issues. additionally, DIY paint job and DIY front seats from scratch. I'm still on the learning curve but this is what i got so far. painting roof this weekend. also picking up another cart project. photo of progress below.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #20
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85CE1CFD-12C7-4FD3-A192-DF0B9ED2D0E0.jpeg (38.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 40413A58-EAFE-41A1-BD7A-AE1E29E48B27.jpeg (33.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO